Photographing & editing on yard longs

I don't think this has been covered but would make for some excellent online photos if it could be done. I am curious if anyone with photo editing experience has ever photographed a yard long in sections and spliced them together. Is there a free software program that would work for this? I'm considering picking up another yard long in the future and I can't experiment with the one I have since it is framed. So I would like to know what it would take to do photographs or scans and importing it into a program to edit the pieces together into a flawless copy.

Any advice and info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

I am always looking for named items to Central Illinois WWI veterans.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I haven't done this in a long time, but I believe PhotoShop allows you to merge photos. I believe the trick is when you take the photos you overlap the areas you are shooting. That way you don't miss something between your pieces.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I'm wondering if I would need some kind of a rig to shoot directly down with. Something that maintains a constant distance and angle so the photos will line up properly. I'm no photographer so I don't know much about this or editing.

Would photoshop be the best software for this? I just don't know if there is an easier way to do this.

Thanks,

Mike

I have had success with scanning long items and then pasting the images together in Photo Shop. I've done this with a couple of Brassards that were longer than my scanners bed.

The yard long photo would have to be in good enough condition to be removed from the frame and manipulated on the scanner.

Many modern office size printers have the capability to scan to an image. You would have to experiment with the resolution settings.

Try a printing company that prints drawings for the building industry. They may have a large flatbed scanner that would scan to a Jpeg or other image. I think Kinkos has this capability.

If photographing using a digital camera you would have to have a setup that held the camera at a set distance from the photo. In the days of film photographers used a copy stand. You would also need a way to hold the long photo flat while taking the pictures.

Hardstripe

I collect US Army chevrons and US Army Finance Corps items. I also collect CCC insignia.

ASMIC Member - OVMS Member

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Photoshop has an option to take multiple images of a panorama and merge them into one image, this sounds like what you are wanting to do?

RC

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Yes sir it is. I'm not familiar with how the program works and what it takes to do it, and I am up for the challenge to learn. I need to improve my photography skills as well and I think this would be a good opportunity. I've tried using the panoramic on my phone for kicks and that was a disaster.

So far this is what I have come up with.

I need a quality light source. The flash causes older photos to shine where they are black, it's kind of a bluish shine especially if the camera isn't square to the photo.

I need a stand that keeps a constant distance from the photo.

The photo needs to be held flat.

And photo shop seems to be the way to go for editing together the individual overlapped photos.

This seems like it is going to be quite a task to accomplish once I'm ready to give it a try. There's seems like there could be an easier way to do this, if anyone has any other advice it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike