The last of the "real"M1910 canteen covers

Pep

Just received this nice example of a Jeff. Q.M.C. canteen cover.

I have seen these in a green, two tone, and this one in khaki.

I always considered the khaki to be the later of the three variants but wonder what the consensus is here on the forum.

Although I have seen later covers with stamped nomenclature of "M1910", I consider this to be the last real M1910 cover made.

The stitch seem is still on the center rear. The M1942's all have this seam on the side.

post-2260-0-52505500-1389196078.jpg

Pep

That is about the best looking early war cover I have seen. Very nice find. I have seen covers stamped model 1910 that are dated as late as 1956 but I beieve they have the side seem, not the ream like this one. So I would agree with you this is the last true 1910 cover.

Bob

Just received this nice example of a Jeff. Q.M.C. canteen cover.

I have seen these in a green, two tone, and this one in khaki.

I always considered the khaki to be the later of the three variants but wonder what the consensus is here on the forum.

Although I have seen later covers with stamped nomenclature of "M1910", I consider this to be the last real M1910 cover made.

The stitch seem is still on the center rear. The M1942's all have this seam on the side.

There is no such thing as an "M1942", that's just collector jargon. The Army moved the seam on the M1910 Cover to the side in 1942 to simplify production, but they are still M1910 Canteen Covers. The Army changed the design again in 1944 by reinforcing the billet, so are these then to be called "M1944"? I have M1910 Covers dated into the 1950's and they are just as real as the one's I have dated 1917.

There is no such thing as an "M1942", that's just collector jargon. The Army moved the seam on the M1910 Cover to the side in 1942 to simplify production, but they are still M1910 Canteen Covers. The Army changed the design again in 1944 by reinforcing the billet, so are these then to be called "M1944"? I have M1910 Covers dated into the 1950's and they are just as real as the one's I have dated 1917.

I have to agree with you. I considered the M1942 a pattern change for the M1910 but not a designation change. I should have been more clear. The 50's covers are real 1910's. You are correct again with your "collector jargon" statement. I do not have or have seen an official drawing of a "M1942" cover.

Very nice canteen cover! There is a early 1942 JA SHOES in the model of the M1910 configuration right now on Bay State Military for $90

Craig

Hi Pep !

Great canteen cover !

Here my Jeff Q.M.D. 1942 cover... Very same year, but a lot of difference: side seam, O.D. colour and different marking location... It is amaizing how the Depot turned to different web patterns in the same year... I will never stop to be surprised by their First Aid pouches : three different styles only in 1942, but this is an old story and I have posted several topics on this matter...

By the way, the mint ethocel canteen is an Amus 1943...

Cheers!

Fausto

post-8381-0-74381400-1389258295.jpg

post-8381-0-19802400-1389258305.jpg

The M1910 Canteen Cover :P One of my favorite topics...

Mighty nice stuff on display here!!

Here is another "real" (I like that :lol:) M1910 made in '42 at the Jeffersonville Depot, which retains the rear-center seam. This one is another "off-the-beaten-path" Cover like Fausto's; it is made of soft denim material instead of the usual canvas duck, here shown beside another J.Q.M.D. Cover dated '43 (these '43-dated O.D.#7 Covers are extremely hard to find- this is the only one I have among 73 Canteen sets)...

post-3226-0-36682800-1389288160.jpg

Perhaps the most interesting part of this Cover is the insulation lining, which is an O.D. wool material as opposed to the dark gray felt/horsehair normally found in these...

post-3226-0-59302700-1389288965.jpg

Perhaps the most interesting part of this Cover is the insulation lining, which is an O.D. wool material as opposed to the dark gray felt/horsehair normally found in these...

Interesting construction materials used.

Looks to be Green as opposed to the one I posted which is khaki(both edge tape and body fabric).

I need to look again at the felt though. I do not remember it's color.

Interesting construction materials used.

Looks to be Green as opposed to the one I posted which is khaki(both edge tape and body fabric).

I need to look again at the felt though. I do not remember it's color.

Yup, it's a bright pea-green (officially, O.D.#3), and I have it mounted on a '42 Rucksack which is made out of the same type of material (the only "denim" Rucksacks I've seen thus far were made by either Meese or Simmons). One of these days I'd like to get all the Army Canteen sets together for a group shot to display the huge smattering of canvas colors they used in the first half of the 20th Century.

A pretty decent "color shot"; front left Atlantic '41, right Scott '42. behind is a Shane '44 at left, Gates '44 behind it:

post-3226-0-02452900-1389295502.jpeg

OWEN!! Long time, no see...What's up????

R.C.: I've only seen 3 or 4 of those denim Covers in my whole life. It seems that Jeffersonville did a lot of experimenting and innovating, and were chosen by A.G.F. for, among other things, design and development of the Rucksack in the very early '40s. Matter of fact, I have one which I bought solely because it was an early production made at the J.Q.M.D. (gotta be a real "Psackotic" to do something like that :wacko:).

Fausto, one just has to love those Canteen Covers made of the strange gray-green canvas in '42, and yours is one of the finest I've seen. Mine are decent, but not as nice as yours (shown here alongside a "normal" St. Croix Glove '43 Cover)...

post-3226-0-84694600-1389314868.jpg

Hi Flage!

Yes, I have been really lucky a couple of years ago in buying that unissued ethocel canteen, lovely wrapped in the mint Jeff. Q.M.D. 1942 cover...

As for the colour of the Depot 1943 covers, here mine... Not O.D.7, but definitely khaki... What I love are the marks for stitching the hook tab (here a little off place...). I would say that the Jeff.Q.M.D.1943 marking and the stitiching guidelines are made from the same big stamp... Or not?

Fausto

post-8381-0-19920100-1389344605.jpg

Fausto, that is one more in a thread of very cool Covers :)

Speaking of stamps being applied in the wrong place, here's another gray-green Cover with said mistake...

post-3226-0-75007300-1389404915.jpg