Guatemala Cross of Military Merit- Arnold, Nimitz, MacArthur

4STARCHRIS

OK, so my curiosity has been aroused...

I sent an email to the US Embassy in Guatemala, explaining the question about the ribbons, and asking for clarification.

Stay tuned....

I was not able to find anything new out this weekend going through some old research books. Most recipients of this medal, general officers, on all that I have seen so far, outside MacArthur do not post a award date.

4starchris

For what its worth, the medal I posted that was awarded to Eaker had a small note next to it that reads "Order of Military Merit (Guatemala) 1926." Not sure if the date is the year it was awarded or the year it was created. I suspect it was awarded in connection with the Pan-American Goodwill flight of 1926-1927.

Kevin

"established this order on October 28, 1947". So your finding is very interesting. I also made comments in early post that we are on some very good research on a very little know order. Thanks for all you input and pics.

4starchris

• 2 weeks later...
uniformcollector

I apologize for the blurry photo, but on the bottom row is the Guatamala Cross of Military Merit. This is from the uniform of Admiral Arthur Radford (circa 1957)

post-104949-0-56746800-1390539150.png

I am still wondering what the exact color of the "original" ribbon is? Thanks for posting the photo. I also find the documentation of this medal very hard to find. We will just keep looking.

4starchris