Guatemala Cross of Military Merit- Arnold, Nimitz, MacArthur

4STARCHRIS

Can anyone tell me what the original colors of this ribbons was/ is? The pic maybe a little discolored from the flash. I know the ribbon is now equal shades of red, white, red. Even in most reference books it indicates this. However, Nimitz, MacArthur and Arnold all have this medal with this ribbon. I am completely color blind and don't have a clue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4starchris

Can anyone tell me what the original colors of this ribbons was/ is? The pic maybe a little discolored from the flash. I know the ribbon is now equal shades of red, white, red. Even in most reference books it indicates this. However, Nimitz, MacArthur and Arnold all have this medal with this ribbon. I am completely color blind and don't have a clue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4starchris

Chris;

The ribbon I am looking at in your photo is, from left to right

White

thin purple (or perhaps some shade of blue)

white

thin red

white

I understand that there are three "classes" of this medal. Does ribbon color factor into the classes?

Chris,

I see the same thing as Ed but lean more toward blue rather then purple. It looks to be a similar color to the enameled circle.

Mark D

Thanks guys for your help. I also thought it was white. Others tried to talk me into something diferent. I can't find this ribbon style anywhere in research. The equal parts of red, white, red is all I find documented in books. However, I found three that look like this.

All belonging to 5 stars.

Yes, they made three classes. Gold (first Class), Silver (Second Class) and Metal (Third Class). I do not find that the ribbon changes with a different class, but then again I can't find this ribbon design.

I also found Gen Ridgway having been awarded one. His is the red, white, red ribbon and appeared medal.

Thanks for all your help. If any one finds a reference to this ribbon please keep me posted.

4starchris

This is the Navy JROTC Color Guard Ribbon. You are correct it looks very close to at least these color blind eyes. Just flip it.

4starhris

post-387-0-99978500-1389133820.jpg

uniformcollector

Here is a digital version of Macarthur's ribbon bar. It is from the site veterantributes.org. I have contacted the owner in the past and it is a very reliable site. Also, is a digital version Mararthur's ribbons on the cover of a book written about his decorations. In the first image, the ribbon appears to be gray, blue, gray, red and gray. In the second image it appears to be the same except for a slight yellow is added to the gray.

post-104949-0-39047000-1389151625.png

Swag,

This is the color they were trying to sway me towards was a tint of yellow. I thought the flash may have given it this tint. You say this was Eaker's? Where are his medals at?

Its interesting that we or I can not find a reference to this ribbon.Unless this is the ribbon for the first class?

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Uniformcollector,

If you check in the book you will find my name as providing some of the pics for the book. FYI.

4starchris

uniformcollector

Swag,

This is the color they were trying to sway me towards was a tint of yellow. I thought the flash may have given it this tint. You say this was Eaker's? Where are his medals at?

Its interesting that we or I can not find a reference to this ribbon.Unless this is the ribbon for the first class?

Uniformcollector,

If you check in the book you will find my name as providing some of the pics for the book. FYI.

4starchris

Dear Chris,

Thanks for letting me know. I don't own the book and have not had the chance to read it. Did you contribute any photos of the Guatemala Cross of Military Merit?

Swag,

Uniformcollector,

4starchris

4starchris,

Eaker's medals are on display in the Eaker Heritage Hall at Maxwell AFB, AL. Snapped a few pictures while down there last August.

Kevin

edit - forgot to add, Eaker's medal is the "I Clase" medal.

OK, from searching various sources, here is what I "think" I have come up with

Guatemala Cross of Military Merit First Class

post-12036-0-03424100-1389196151.jpg

I really like all the post. Thanks every one for the help. It has really cleared up a unknown area I think on this order. Now if we can find it documented somewhere. If not it should be pinned here as reference.

4starchris

I assume everyone saw that the pendent has the class of the medal indicated at the bottom of the blue circle.

I CLASE

II CLASE

III CLASE

No I did not see that. Thanks for the attention to detail.

So I an thinking it is safe to say that maybe we have answered the question. They do have different ribbons.

4starchris

No I did not see that. Thanks for the attention to detail.

So I an thinking it is safe to say that maybe we have answered the question. They do have different ribbons.

4starchris

I agree as well.

You posted the first class medal (with ribbon) which matches the MacArthur ribbon (actual colors may be slightly different).

I found the second class medal (with ribbon) on the OMSA database website.

I found the third class medal (with ribbon) on the Gentlemen's Military Interest Club website. The photo was originally posted by Jeff Floyd.

It would be nice to pin down the actual color (white, yellow, off-white) of the major part of the first class medal ribbon.

I agree as well. The only problem with the actual colors of the ribbons on the first class we posted is.... is it the actual color or has time, age, lighting source changd them over the years into the ribbon we see today. I think we have come a great distance however. Thanks for everyone's help.

4starchris

I have five books on orders, medals and decorations. One mention it. Called: Orders ande Decorations of all Nations, Second Edition, Robert Werlich, Page 225. It established this order on October 28, 1947 with the three classes and equal parts of red, white, red ribbon.

The Problem:

Official MacArthur documents, document him being presented the decoration on April 30, 1947. Nine months before this book states the order was established. HMMMMMMMM?

4starchris