MY WW1 USMC Collection.... So far....

Hessian

Wow. This goes to show how 8 months of discipline and dedication can lead to a museum-quality display that few achieve. Many congratulations on the outstanding additions!

-- Jon

What else could possibly be said about your collection that hasnt already been said? Incredible barley begins to describe. I could only hope to have specimens like that. Great job!

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. It's very humbling and encouraging at the same time.

Here are a few more....

73rd Machine Gun Company (this not a group but set up for display)

SeventyThirdMG_1_zpse1fb2098.jpg

Love the Pumpkin colored handle Mameluke sword.

SeventyThirdMG_2_zpsaecaf173.jpg

73rd MG patch has small tear to felt...

SeventyThirdMG_3_zps6d00882f.jpg

Nice Bullion Overseas and Wound stripes...

SeventyThirdMG_6_zpsc0663a33.jpg

This is interesting... Apparently the Marine lost a button and opted to replace it with a standard enlisted Army button.....

SeventyThridMG_5_zps01fb69b2.jpg

This set is really neat... I bought it as a stripped blouse, the previous owner had cut off the Indian Head SSI patch and overseas stripes.... I didnt think much of it at the time as I was just looking to buy a M1917 forest green tunic for a field display. Imagine my surprise when I got home and found a name in the pocket. Turns out he is a DSC and Navy Cross winner for Belleau Wood!!! Unfortunately the original SSI and Overseas stripes are long gone... I've purchased replacements and stay tuned for the finished product...

Multer_1_zpse1174d78.jpg

Here you can see the ghost of both the SSI and Overseas chevrons.....

Multer_2_zpsb1001fc1.jpg

Multer_4_zps876b645f.jpg

Orig Wound chevron still intact....

Multer_3_zpsbe96414e.jpg

Here is a named/ID'ed four pocket officer tunic

Officer_Khaki_1_zpse7e8bf85.jpg

Officer_Khaki_2_zps66452cb3.jpg

Last one... I'm not entirely sure this is a WW1 period piece but thought I would include it. Accessories include the dismounted 1911 holster with "USMC" embossed on the flap. WW1 first aid kit and canteen.

C1_1_zps262954f9.jpg

C1_4_zps0f48500d.jpg

C1_3_zps6c2cfd9f.jpg

Inside of cartridge belt

C1_5_zps339020cc.jpg

And finally the holster..

C1_2_zpsc491f8e4.jpg

Just when I think you have emptied the closet.....come 'on is that all you got? Just fantastic, love the khaki tunic. Is that hat a star vent? Look forward to the restoration of the 6th Marine tunic as we'll. Thanks for sharing once again. Kevin

• 1 month later...
American Heritage

WOW. blown away by these impressive displays! Really nice museum quality items. I'd like to see more of that nice mameluke saber. Is it named?

• 4 months later...
BelligerentBlue

Ummm... let's just say I love this era of the Marine Corps, and I've got a couple okay uniforms and a some helmets. I'm looking in the wrong spots or something! Very amazing collection!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Great collection. Correct me if I'm wrong, and not to nitpick, but the SSI on your '73rd Company' ensemble is actually a 4th MG Battalion SSI, the shield denoting divisional level activities and its purple color denoting machine gun activities. The 73rd (Regimental Machine Gun) Company's SSI was a purple diamond, the diamond denoting 6th battalion and its purple color denoting machine gun, as the 73rd Company was the 6th Battalion's regimental machine gun company. The USPS honored Dan Daly, the best known member of the 73rd Company, for his Medals of Honor. Alongside his photograph on the stamp they displayed the 73rd Company's SSI. The inclusion of the 73rd SSI on the stamp is a bit odd as the 73rd was a WW1 organization and despite popular belief Daley did not receive either of his Medals of Honor for WW1 service (he was awarded his first in China in 1900 and his second in Haiti in 1915) although many felt at the time (and now) that he was denied his 3rd MOH due to Pershing's stated belief that the Marines had already gotten too much attention. Cheers, Bill

post-27187-0-87995000-1417735738.jpg

post-27187-0-18982800-1417735764.jpg

I don't get into the uniform forum much, generally I check displays for collections. Some very impressive and beautiful stuff in here that I overlooked!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...