MY WW1 USMC Collection.... So far....

Hessian

Well, after some encouragement from other forum members I've decided to post the fruits of the last 8 or so months. At that time, I decided that I would stop (actively) collecting WW2 USMC and start collecting WW1 USMC.

My goal is to have a Helmet and Tunic from every Bn/Rgt. I'll update the thread as I continue to marry up tunics and helmets.

Sorry for the "Hessian Collection" watermark but I was advised that might be a smart thing to do. I also realize that the colors in the photos look a little off, I'm still playing with the photoshop editor... trial and error...

Lastly, some of these are named groups, others the sum of parts. Some items came directly from families and a few of these came from forum members-- who I hope will enjoy seeing them again here.

Semper Fi

Hessian

First up: A nice set of Blues to a member of 2/6. German made SSI and beautiful early collar EGAs with nice detail.

TwoSix_blues_2_zpsf2e57934.jpg

TwoSix_blues_3_zpse27ee8a5.jpg

Next up is a set of greens to a 2/6 Marine also with what is likely a German made patch.

(The French Fourragere is a modern rayon one until I can locate a period piece)

TwoSix_Alpha_1_zps17425912.jpg

TwoSix_Alphas_4_zpsc8c40995.jpg

Here is a 1/5 set with peat green eagle snap belt, Chauchat "Shoo-Shoo" bag, and "Glenngarry" pattern overseas cap.

OneFive_Alphas_3_zps22850c4a.jpg

OneFive_Alphas_2_zpsad34b0c0.jpg

And without the bag... Note the Indian Head pin affixed to the French Fourragere.

OneFive_Alphas_5_zps28bac895.jpg

Here is a HQ Sixth Marine Regiment grouping.

HQ_Sixth_Alphas_1_zps90b2ed1d.jpg

HQ_Sixth_Alphas_3_zps3fa7d027.jpg

Next up 2/5 with personalized gas mask bag that chronicles all of this pre-war marines travels and battles.

TwoFive_Alphas_3_zps576a60ec.jpg

TwoFive_Alphas_1_zpsfeebcfa0.jpg

A 1/6 set with rare "A" bullion roundel sewn onto the SSI.

OneSix_Alpahs_1_zps58370b35.jpg

OneSix_Alphas_3_zps40272d21.jpg

OneSix_Alphas_4_zps42f10383.jpg

Now a set for a 3/6 Marine with beautiful velvet patch.

ThreeSix_Alphas_1_zps5f64839a.jpg

ThreeSix_Alphas_2_zpsaf3e9c8f.jpg

One of my favorites.... 8th MG Bn set. Beautiful hand painted Indian head patch on purple felt.

FifthMG_Alphas_1_zps0c6405e4.jpg

The helmet came from the family of the Marine

FifthMG_Alphas_2_zps4d3e480b.jpg

Fantastic! Thanks for posting the photos of the uniforms. This post is better than a museum. You have great items there and it's a treat looking at them and taking in all the details.

Well done!

Dennis

It may not look like much, but this is probably the rarest set of uniforms I have. These two following uniforms belonged to a Marine who hit almost ever battle during the war and ended up as member of "E" Company, Composite Bn serving under (then) Capt Clifton Cates USMC.

This is the Army uniform he was issued. Notice the USMC buttons he improvised as collar discs. The neat thing about them is that they are marked "Paris" on the reverse.

Composite_USA_1_zps0fbed70f.jpg

Composite_USA_2_zps68a1a7cb.jpg

Next up is the uniform and distinctive helmet worn by members of "E" Co of the Composite Bn.

Composite_Alphas_1_zpsf712fd92.jpg

He also brought back quite a bit of German war booty and I can post that under "Spoils of War" forum if anyone is interested....

Composite_Alphas_2_zps7ba06f81.jpg

Okay, last one for now....

Another MG Bn uniform, this time a set of blues. Note the wound stripe on the left sleeve and French made DSC.

FifthMG_Blues_1_zps9f9b8002.jpg

FifthMG_Blues_4_zpse35b4175.jpg

FifthMG_Blues_3_zps33af4f99.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Duke, a very impressive display here. Thanks so much for taking the time to show it. This material is so hard to locate, your perseverance and hard work are truly apparent. Congratulations on a very fine collection. Kevin

Hessian - Simply stunning! I enjoyed every picture. I'm particularly impressed with the buttons used as collar devices. Only a Marine! Pride in the Corps transcends all eras and generations. Thanks for sharing.

normaninvasion

Great display and items! You got all this in just 8 months?.... that is amazing! You have some really hard to find examples

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I have been extremely fortunate that other collectors, forum members, and the Gods of dumb luck have smiled upon me. I probably wont find so much as a button for the next 8 months... feast or famine as we all know...

Kurt Barickman

Very nice, you have put together quite a nice collection within a short period of time.

Kurt

Leatherneck72

When it is all displayed properly, it looks so much better than hanging up in closet! Those are some great helmets.

WOW what a wonderful collection! My favorite was the E Co Composite BN helmet. The colors in the war bonnet is beautiful.

David

8 MONTHS !!!

Yu gotta b kiddin me !

After many many years looking and asking I found one WW1 USMC group out of the woodwork.

That's rare stuff and you have a battalion's worth.

Keep track of your provenance. :love:

Great stuff, Hessian! I love the 4th Brigade!!!!!! You've put together a fabulous collection. Semper Fi.......Bob

Brian Dentino

Jeez, 8 months and you have a museum quality collection with some absolutely beautiful pieces! Thanks for sharing them.....would love to see them all set up and standing at attention together.....a great group!