Military Order of the Serpent Collection

KevinBeyer

19 hours ago, KevinBeyer said:

Sometimes the only thing tha t distinguishes an M.O.S. badge from a U.S.W.V. badge is the ribbon. The suspension bar and the pendant are the same, but either the color, or the lettering, or both are changed to indicate which group is being represented.

In this case, the 33rd Annual Encampment held in Wildwood, NJ, in 1931 had the colloquial 'SNAIX' (snakes) printed in black on the all crimson ribbon.  The M.O.S.'s official colors were crimson and jet.

MOS1931WildwoodNJ.jpg.596491b5bdadb251ce42d8dc38be49ac.jpg

An interesting feature about this badge is that the suspension bar is not made of metal, but rather celluloid.  It appears to be metal, but it's more like printed plastic.

Neat badge Kevin. 

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone. I'm writing to tell you all that George Kane, who had written more about the Spanish American War than any other human being on earth passed away last December. I was informed by his family that his entire collection was destroyed. 

This included dozens of issues of The Hiker and innumerable other items pertaining to the Military Order of the Serpent. 

• 7 months later...
KevinBeyer

I have recently added a slightly obscure Military Order of the Serpent reunion badge to my collection.  It is depicted in the first photo of this post.

The ribbon states that it is from the 30th Annual Encampment held on June 1st and 2nd in 1928.

The word "ANNUAL" indicates that it is a state level reunion.  As I have mentioned before "SUPREME" was used for National Level reunions.

The question arose as to which Province (state) this was.  The ribbon color is quite unusual for this type of badge.  Traditionally the ribbons would be crimson and jet (red and black), or solid green.  Typically solid green was used for Supreme Convocations and crimson and jet were used for Annual ones.  So, what does green and white represent?  And, why didn't they put the name of the Province?

I posited my question to a fellow MOS collector and within a few days he had sleuthed a reunion badge for the USWV Ladies Auxiliary.  It is depicted in the second photo.  This badge utilizes the same green and white ribbon and was held in the same month and year as the MOS badge.  The AUSWV badge indicates that it was from the 1928 reunion held in Long Branch, N.J..  Their similarities lead me to believe that the MOS badge is also from Long Branch, N.J..  Unless I learn otherwise, this is how I will designate this badge.

MOS1928LongBranchNJ.jpg.d03cd92194871d2670464be524f683c1.jpgAUSWV_LongBranchNJ.jpg.19aead4f4b8045522b0f44bcb2cb7abf.jpg