Military Order of the Serpent Collection

KevinBeyer

What can I say about this medal that your outstanding pictures don't say already?

It is one of the earlier versions of the first degree membership badge as evidenced by the cut outs around the bolo hilts and around the skull. It was made by Jay D. Lea of Sandusky, Ohio. The MOS was formed in Ohio and it had its largest state membership there. It is surprising that more of this type aren't found. I think that the Jay D. Lea badges are the best made versions. Do you know if Mr. Hinkle lived in Ohio?

Other makers of the Khatipunan badge were Bastian Bros, The Denver Badge & Novelty Company, Whitehead & Hoag, Jos. Mayer & Bros, and one maker who didn't stamp their mark on their badges. The ribbons on these early badges are sometimes frail. The have been known to unravel, or just come apart if they endure a prolonged exposure to sunlight.

According to my records, Oliver C. Hinkle never rose to the Bayani Grade (National Level) of membership in the MOS.

Thanks for sharing these excellent pictures!

Kevin

NoahBenzing

Thank you for the photo compliments Kevin... I've always had OCD when it comes to close-up's ;) Nope.. not sure if Mr. Hinkle lived in Ohio or not but he sure as hell did live here in Oklahoma and fought in the Spanish/American war. Maybe I can find out more about him from this angle... his name is on his Spanish War coin.

teufelhunde.ret

Kevin - thank you for history lesson. I think the medals of this era are the most handsome. I look forward to seeing more!

s/f Darrell

NoahBenzing
Thank you for the photo compliments Kevin... I've always had OCD when it comes to close-up's ;) Nope.. not sure if Mr. Hinkle lived in Ohio or not but he sure as hell did live here in Oklahoma and fought in the Spanish/American war. Maybe I can find out more about him from this angle... his name is on his Spanish War coin.

Kevin .... I just discovered that Mr. Hinkle was in fact a member of the 8th Ohio Volunteer Infantry... Company F (Canton, Ohio)

• 3 years later...

As some people may know, I collect Military Order of the Serpent items. It is an area of collecting in which not too many people take an interest. The MOS is an obscure subset of organized veterans from a someone obscure war that happened sometime between the Civil War and World War I. So, imagine my surprise when I found out that the State of Missouri museum system was putting on a display of Military Order of the Serpent reunion badges from a donated collection they had received in 1929. These MOS items have been sitting in obscurity in the archives of the Missouri Museum system for the last 83 years. As it turns out, a summer intern wanted to create a special display before leaving her internship and she chose this material as her project. These items have been on display at the Missouri State Museum at the Missouri State Capitol building since March. I am not sure how much longer they will be shown, but I can honestly tell you that it was a real thrill to have seen these badges presented in such a fine manner.

post-276-1344821320.jpg

This is as good of a close up photo as my meager camera skills would allow.

DSC_0297.jpg

The badge in the lower left is from 1909 for the M.O.S.'s 4th Supreme Convocation held in Tacoma, Washington. It is the earliest reunion badge from the M.O.S. that I have ever seen.

Kevin

I am not sure if this photo is legible, or not, but this is the text below the reunion badges on display.

ForGeorgeKane03.jpg

• 2 years later...

Is anyone interested in a military order of the serpent "certificate". It's from 1908, framed, from the ohio lair, and 2 types of seals on it.. it is from the Ohio lair.? If so message me back.

• 9 months later...
Alfred Kroulik

Is anyone interested in a military order of the serpent "certificate". It's from 1908, framed, from the ohio lair, and 2 types of seals on it.. it is from the Ohio lair.? If so message me back.

If this is still available, Please let me know. I have one that is in awful condition and would like to have an intact example.

Alfred Kroulik

Mr. Kane is an extremely knowledgeable individual in the field of USWV and MOS as veterans' organizations. I am sure his knowledge surpasses my own. He has written a book on the subject and has copies for sale. If you are really interested in these groups, I would suggest obtaining a copy. There is no other resource like it anywhere.

Kevin

I have been colleting USWV badges for some time now and I am just branching into the MOS items. You mention a book on the subject by George Kane. Do you know how I can contact him or where I could find a copy of the book. I will be eternally grateful.

• 2 years later...

I have enjoyed collecting MOS for several years. They are such a great organization with some creative medals and reunion ribbons. Here is what I currently have in the collection.

Ken

post-79-0-72265900-1514941309_thumb.jpg

Ken,

That is a great looking collection! Thank you for sharing. You have a great collection of local, state, and national membership badges along with some great Supreme and Grand Convocation badges.

I am just about to send in an article for publication in the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America on M.O.S. Officer Insignia and Past President badges. I am hoping that it will see publication in JOMSA in 2018. Be on the lookout for it. I am sure you will find it interesting.

Kevin

Ken,

That is a great looking collection! Thank you for sharing. You have a great collection of local, state, and national membership badges along with some great Supreme and Grand Convocation badges.

I am just about to send in an article for publication in the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America on M.O.S. Officer Insignia and Past President badges. I am hoping that it will see publication in JOMSA in 2018. Be on the lookout for it. I am sure you will find it interesting.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I have really enjoyed having this sideline to my main collecting theme. They are just fascinating pieces. I look forward to seeing the article.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are interested in variants, I have made some images of the various maker marks for Khatipunan badges in my collection.

MOS_makers_mark_ColoradoBadge01_cutout_300dpi.jpg

COLORADO BADGE &

NOV. CO.

DENVER

This badge is an earlier version with cut outs between the bolo hilts and skull.

MOS_makers_mark_ColoradoBadge02_cutout_300dpi.jpg

COLO. BADGE

& NOV. CO.

DENVER

This badge is an earlier version with cut outs between the bolo hilts and skull.

This badge does not have the proper, original crimson and jet ribbon.

MOS_makers_mark_ColoradoBadge03_cutout_300dpi_2.jpg

COLORADO BADGE

& NOVELTY CO.

DENVER

MOS_makers_mark_JosMayer_cutout_300dpi.jpg

JOS. MAYER & BROS

MAKERS

SEATLE, WASH.

MOS_makers_mark_none_cutout_300dpi_2.jpg

No makers mark.

MOS_makers_mark_none_not_cutout_300dpi.jpg

No makers mark.

This badge is a later version with no cut outs between the bolo hilts and skull.

MOS_makers_mark_JayDLea_cutout_300dpi.jpg

JAY D. LEA

OFFICIAL JEWELER

SANDUSKY OHIO