US Troops wearing Tenue Léopard

Andrei

Usually you can see more pictures of French Troops wearing US uniforms than the contrary.

But this time we have two nice shots of Lurps wearing French Tenues TAP Camouflées during a FTX in Germany during the 60s.

post-467-1210541784.jpg

post-467-1210541958.jpg

Airborne battledress worn are models TAP54 and TAP56. Note the custom camo patrol caps.

First soldier on the left has tailored to fit tight trousers à la mode Coloniale.

There is a TAP52 smock that belonged to a SF officer with direct embroidered name and USARMY sitting somewhere in New York and I hope to put it in my collection one of these days...

Anderi, did these come from the mil photos site? Ive had them for a while. The Vietnam SF thread is full of awesome pics ,SF Rangers LRRP etc. If you havent checked it out you need to!

Andrei, did these come from the mil photos site? Ive had them for a while. The Vietnam SF thread is full of awesome pics ,SF Rangers LRRP etc. If you havent checked it out you need to!

Jerome forwarded them to me and I posted them.

Jerome forwarded them to me and I posted them.

Hi ,

Andrei i don t remember the name of this site but i saw some post by Mr X on this

this one if i remember " beautiful tiger berets "

J

post-1486-1210602749.jpg

J, you need to post this picture in the Tiger Stripe thread and also in the weapons section. Beautiful berets and Sten Guns with silencers.

craig_pickrall

That is a neat set of pics. I wonder if they can get anything else in those rucks?

Thanks Jerome for these incredible photos (Tks Andrei too to have had the good idea to post);

These Rangers could be perhaps from the V or the VII Corps LRRP Co's respectfully at Wildflecken (later Frankfurt) and Nellingen. It's interesting to note that they seem to have tigered their Patrol caps with magic marker. I found in a SF officer grouping few years ago a such patrol cap camouflaged with face paint. A V corps crest "Cum Animus Et Successus" (Through Courage, Success) was among the stuff.

One day, I noticed at the parent's home of one of my best friend (I was the best man few days after) a photo of his father and his team after a one month infiltration-exfiltration exercice in the early 60's. His father is a retired colonel who spent his first years assigned at the 13rd Airborne dragoon regiment, a very specific LRRP french unit. All the team worn M51 fishtails parkas and M1A1 carbines. Very surprised by these uniforms, I asked my friend's father what about these never seen uniforms in the french army (expect Korea war). He answered me that they did some exercices with american LRRP (with maroon berets) and were keen on their parkas. Quickly, exchanges 've been done and parkas were in french duffle bags but who knows what was in american bags. According to my father's friend, french maroon berets and airborne smocks were very appreciated by their american fellows. At the present time, I don't know if the uniforms were camo but it could be the beginning of the story. Few years after the Algeria war and Alger coup, lizzard camouflage uniforms were prohibited in France: symbol of elite troops frightening an established society. These camo uniforms were still proudly worn overseas or outside the borders of the coundry.

Cheers

Valery

I encountered a veteran of the 10th SF who served in Germany from 1965 to 1968 (then to RVN) who was wearing (over otherwise standard gear) a tan water-pattern West German Grenzpolizei field jacket (the type that had D-rings on straps out of the chest pockets and was "krinkly' due to its waterproofing. He said that his entire ODA had been ISSUED such uniforms (including trousers and "Afrika" caps) for wear in the field (not in garrison). The team's usual AO was along the Czech border strip and he said they assumed the idea was to "look different" and/or pass as Germans in the eyes of Czech border guards. He said they also had Brit Denisons (1950s pattern) that had been over-dyed in black -- but the dye ran when they got wet.

These are V Corps LRRP Co's in the 60's.

Here is another one !!

post-131-1210693090.jpg

the guy who s wearing the leopard jacket with flag is the same than the last ( de la file) on your second pics andrei

and the same of this pics

Cheers Jerome

post-1486-1210766932.jpg