WW2 1st ID HBT (Sicily)

Zab

Hey guys i am reenactor who does the "Big Red One" i am currently working on my Sicily impression and had a few questions. Now i know that no insignia should be on the HBT jacket ? But i have read that since the 1st ID used the HBTs as there main combat uniform in Sicily they indeed sewed on the Shoulder flashes ? Also i am a Sgt. in my unit and wanted to apply my rank using a stencil and ink, would that be something that was done ?

Thank you in advance

Sgt. Zab

3/ 16 1st ID

I am ex Canadian Navy with the rank of Petty Officer 2nd Class (PO2) which is the equivalent to Sgt. in the Army. I do WW2 U.S 1st ID reenacting, but what this has to do with my question i do not know ?

juodonnell2012

I was just wondering if you were. A good friend of mine is an actual sgt in the big red one and also portrays a sgt in his big red one unit. I was just curious as many reenactors i know who have served previously tend to pic the unit they were in and as the rank they obtained. I was wondering if you possibly knew him

Not a problem, ya i retained rank but unfortunately obviously i didnt serve with the 1st ._ just think they are one badass Division lol ! Anyways can anyone help me out with my question please ?

THere is a picture in a National Geographics of a 3rd Infantry division soldier wearing a 3rd patch on a early 1041 pattern hbt shirt.Not that it was common but patches were worn on hbts.More commonly worn on the Parsons/M41 field jackets but also occasionally seen on a hbt shirt.

ya i have found a few pics with a quick search of HBTs with insignia, even the 89th ID in training stateside in 1943.... so it did happen. I about 90% sure the 1st ID wore insignia in Sicily, they were the only combat unit in the MTO the wore HBTs exclusively. Plus i remember talking to a vet and him saying how proud they were to wear that patch when he fought in Sicily (being badly wounded that was his only combat action). Now i wonder how rare it was to have stencil ink rank on there ?

29HBT-1.jpg92ba82a7a2f8a8c5_large.jpgsize0.jpgSC180631.jpg

The First pic is an original 29th ID HBT jacket, second shows guy on left of stretcher with insignia on HBT (this might be mute though as it could be KOREA) 3rd is the 89th in training stateside, not the guy in top right corner with insignia and HBT jacket. The last one is of a stars and stripes reporter in N.Africa with HBTs and stenciled rank.

Well thats good enough for me i will being wearing my 1st ID shoulder flash on my HBT jacket, sorry if that upsets the FARB police lol. The U.S Army was not a cookie cutter Army of identical looking G.I's ! So it's hardly FARBY !

Johan Willaert

Just to add a bit of trivial info:

AR600-40 §56.c. Shoulder Sleeve Insignia will be worn on the upper part of the outer half of the left sleeve of the service coat, overcoat,mackinaw, field jacket, and the shirt when worn as an outer garment. the top of the insignia to be 1/2 inch below top of shoulder seam.

Yes that is what the Infantry Manual says, but you could say that with anything right ? Lets take the set up the M1928 haversack with the M1923 cartridge belt... now according to the Infantry manual the first aid pouch is to be worn on the left back side of the last eyelets on belt with the canteen on right in same postion, but in almost all combat pictures the first aid pouch is worn on the front right ? The haversack straps are to be attached to the belt but you will see hundreds of G.Is wearing as a backpack unattached to drop quickly if contact is made right ? I get into fights with reenactors all the time about the fact that in the combat zone they didnt go by the book they did what was logical right. Being ex navy and Afgan vet we wore non regulated pieces of clothing as well. I have heard vets say the wore the patch cause they were proud of the baddest Division in the U.S Army and that when they wore it it demanded respect. That is good enough for me and i think im hardly a Farb for feeling this way....just my two cents !

Johan Willaert

It wasnt meant as critiscism but just general info what the manual says...

After more than 30 years in the Military, i know AR and manuals arent always followed to the letter...

Anyways everybody make valid points and at the end of the day it should be about sharing our common interests... thank you all for the input !

I do an early war 1st ID SSG and I also wear the SSI on my HBT's but no rank stripes. On my M41 it has both as does my wools.

Course I am about old enough now to do a 1st war vet in WWII 1st ID guy LOL

Hello

I reenact WWII 18INF since 2004. I read a few books , and everywere BRO veterans says thet BRO did not have many HBT. BRO loved wool :(:(:( .

In Poland we have an idea "play the rule not the exception"

Pawel

www.bigredone.pl