WW1 US army sleeve insignia regulations?

toshik

I have a couple of questions on ww1 officer uniforms regulations.

Shoulder patch placement - looks like 1" below the top of the sleeve?

Shoulder discharge red chevron (below the patch) - how far from the top of the sleeve or the bottom of patch?

Overseas bars I believe 4" from the bottom of the sleeve same as WW2?

world war I nerd

Regulations stipulated that:

1. AEF Shoulder Sleeve Insignia (SSI) was to begin at the shoulder seam of the left sleeve.

Note how all three of these SSI begin at the shoulder seam of the left sleeve.

post-5143-0-17677800-1389019759.jpg

world war I nerd

In these period photos, both the lieutenant from the 88th Division, and the Marine from the 2nd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment are wearing SSI that begin at or very near the shoulder seam of the service coat.

post-5143-0-46304100-1389019955.jpg

world war I nerd

2. The red Discharge Stripe was to be worn point up, midway between the elbow and the shoulder, just like the Doughboy pictured from the 89th Division.

The two examples shown are the most common discharge stripes encountered on WW I Doughboy uniforms. At top is red felt on olive drab wool and beneath that the Discharge Stripe has been embroidered in red on an olive drab background.

post-5143-0-16244600-1389020346.jpg

world war I nerd

3. The War Service Chevron (overseas stripe/chevron) was to be worn point down, four inches from the edge of the left sleeve on the enlisted men's service coat. Each additional chevron was to be one quarter of an inch apart.

The War Service Chevron was awarded in three grades:

Silver (top): for each six months of home or stateside service in the United States. These are typically seen made from either silver tape as shown here or silver bullion or fine silver wire on an olive drab background.

Light Blue (center): for less than six months of overseas service. These are typically seen made from either light blue felt embroidered using light blue thread on an olive drab background.

Gold (bottom): for each six months of overseas service. These are typically made from gold tape, as seen here, gold bullion or fine gold wire on an olive drab background.

The purpose of the gold star seen above the silver War Service Chevron and in the photo next to it of a 40th Division Doughboy remains unclear. It has been suggested that it was a symbol unofficially adopted by the first 100,000 Doughboys to arrive overseas in 1917. If that were the case, then one wonders why a soldier from the 40th Division, which didn't arrive overseas until August of 1918 is wearing the star that represented the early arrivals to the AEF.

The bottom photo of a veteran from the 1st Division shows the SSI, Discharge Stripe and War Service Chevrons worn in the prescribed fashion on the service coat.

Overseas service began either as soon as the transport ship entered international waters, which was some ten miles from the Port of Embarkation or on the day that the soldier first set foot onto foreign soil ( I'm not sure which one it was).

post-5143-0-64006600-1389021841.jpg

world war I nerd

4. The Wound Chevron was to be worn point down, four inches above the edge of the right sleeve of the enlisted men's service coat. each additional Wound Chevron was to be one quarter of an inch apart.

There was only one grade of Wound Chevron. A gold Wound Chevron was initially awarded for being wounded or gassed in the 'Zone of Advance'. Later a gold Wound Chevron was awarded for being wounded or gassed regardless of where the wound took place.

The Wound Chevron was identical to the War Service Chevron, the only difference being on which sleeve the chevron was located. Wound and War Service Chevrons show up in a number of forms, the most typical being; from top to bottom:

Wide Gold Tape

Narrow Gold Tape

Gold Bullion

Fine Gold Wire

The photo on the upper left is of Lieutenant Colonel Clagett Wilson USMC of the 4th Marine Brigade Headquarters. in addition to the black horizontal oval SSI of the 4th Brigade HQ, he sports two Wound and two War Service Chevrons, as well as the French Army's red and gold brassard for a staff officer of a General commanding a brigade and the French Croix de Guerre medal on his forest green service blouse.

Below that US Navy Pharmacist's Mate J.E. Balch is wearing one Wound and one War Service Chevron on his Army issued olive drab service coat.

post-5143-0-06480200-1389023375.jpg

world war I nerd

5. Both the War Service Chevron and Wound Chevron were to be worn point down, four inches above the edge of the sleeve on the enlisted men's overcoat.

Here a soldier blinded during the war wears one War Service Chevron, slightly higher than what was prescribed due to the cuff tab on this 1917 Overcoat.

The other example shows a single War Service Chevron worn on the 1918 Overcoat per regulations along with the red Discharge Stripe and a 33rd Division SSI.

post-5143-0-00172100-1389023841.jpg

world war I nerd

6. The War Service Chevron was to be worn point down, one inch above the officers cuff braid on the officers service coat. Each additional chevron was to be placed one quarter of an inch apart. Wound Chevrons were to be worn in the same manner but on the opposite sleeve.

The two period photos show a single war Service Chevron being worn correctly by the lieutenant bearing the 2nd Army SSI (left), while the aviator with the 1st Army SSI (right) wears his three War Service Chevrons a good two inches higher that what AEF regulations called for.

post-5143-0-63790200-1389024379.jpg

world war I nerd

7. The War Service Chevron was to be worn point down as follows on officers overcoats:

Officer's Overcoats without the looped knot insignia of rand on the sleeves: is to be four inches from the bottom edge of the left sleeve.

Officer's Overcoats with the looped knot insignia on the sleeves: is to be superimposed over the knot and positioned so that the point of the lowest chevron is one inch below the lower angle of the knot.

Upper left: A single War Service Chevron can be seen properly positioned on the lower left sleeve of Lieutenant James Reese Europe's (the bandleader of the 369th Infantry's band) officer's overcoat.

Upper center: The War Service Chevron as it should appear on the looped knot rank insignia of a captain's overcoat.

Upper right: The war Service Chevron as it should appear on the looped knot rank insignia of a major's overcoat.

Lower left: The full bird colonel on the left appears to be wearing a single Wound Chevron and two War Service Chevrons on the looped knot rank insignia on the sleeves of his overcoat. Next to him this officer from the 93rd Infantry Division wears a pair of War Service Chevrons correctly on the sleeve of his unadorned officer's overcoat.

Lower, right, General Officers: This Major General with a 7th Corps SSI wears two War Service Chevrons as authorized for general officers, which was with the point of the lowest chevron one inch above the upper ring of black mohair cuff braid that denoted the rank of general officers.

post-5143-0-88879400-1389026263.jpg

world war I nerd

8. USMC War Service Chevrons: Overseas the USMC received the same War Service and Wound Chevrons as their Army counter parts were issued. They were to be worn on the Army issued olive drab service dress that was issued to all Marine Corps personnel in the AEF after January 1918, in exactly the same manner as the Army.

As far as USMC regulations in respect to wearing Wound and War Service Chevrons on their USMC issued forest green service blouse, I have no accurate information. However, based on photographic evidence and surviving examples of the USMC forest green service blouse, the point of the lowest chevron appears to have been placed approximately two inches below the apex of the pointed cuff.

There are also many example of the gold Wound and war Service Chevrons being sewn onto a scarlet cloth backing which matched the Marine Corps scarlet backed NCO chevrons. It is not known if this practice first began overseas in France or if originated after USMC organizations returned to America in 1919. If anyone has additional information on the USMC scarlet backed War Service Chevrons please feel free to post it.

Upper left: Here 2nd Lieutenant Wilbur T. Love, USMC of the 6th Machine Gun Battalion wears three gold on olive drab war Service Chevrons as described above on his forest green service blouse.

Right: This 3rd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment forest green service blouse also bears a trio of Army issued gold on olive drab wool War Service Chevrons.

Lower left: A pair of scarlet backed gold tape War Service Chevrons placed in what seems to be the authorized position over the apex of the pointed cuff found on the USMC forest green service blouse.

post-5143-0-06358300-1389027672.jpg

world war I nerd

9. US Navy War Service Chevrons: Again I am woefully unqualified to write about Wound and War Service Chevrons in respect to the US Navy. However, I believe that all Navy personnel attached to the AEF in France were again issued the exact same gold and light blue chevrons as both their Marine and Army counterparts received, and that they wore them point down and in a similar fashion.

The sailors and Marines that served only on ships during the war were authorized to wear one gold War Service Chevron for every six months served at sea. However, the Navy chevrons were worn point up and were on a dark blue wool background. As shown in the attached black and white photo. I do not know for sure, but it seems likely that the Navy also would have adopted a silver War Service Chevron for stateside duty. Anyone with more precise knowledge on Navy regulations regarding the types of War Service Chevrons and how they were worn, please add to the post.

The final image is of a Marine who served six months at sea during WW I and who served another twelve months in France with the 6th Machine Gun Battalion. This is indicated by the one up and two down gold tape War Service Chevrons on his forest green service blouse. Al;so, note the scarlet backed corporal's chevrons.

End of post.

post-5143-0-96694600-1389028682.jpg

Thanks WWI Nerd, very good info and pictures. Here's a thought on the 40th Division doughboy with the star above his service chevrons: I know of a man who was in Company I, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Division, who was wounded in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive on November 4, 1918. In early 1919 he was transferred to Machine Gun Company, 337th Infantry Regiment, 85th Division, with which he returned to the US. One of his statement of service cards mentions only his assignment to the 85th Division, which was a Depot Division. Perhaps something like that happened with this man in the 40th Division. Just a thought.

Pete

This is amazing information! Thanks a million! I have one last one on overseas cap rank insignia - does it get the shirt sized or full-sized insignia for WW1?

world war I nerd

Hi Pete/USAFN,

I agree that your explanation is a very plausible scenario, in regard to the so called 'first 100,000 over' star appearing on the uniform of the 40th Division soldier. I thought the same thing at the time of my posting, but neglected to include my thoughts on this matter. Thanks for posting information that I didn't.

RustyCanteen

I agree with Brian. I don't think the star has any connection to early AEF arrivals at all.

In fact, most of them that I have seen have been coupled with less than six months overseas. I seem to recall one stateside set too.

RC

world war I nerd

Hi toshik,

Full size rank, branch of service insignia, as well as U.S., U.S.R., U.S.N.G. and U.S.N.A. devices were worn by officers on their overseas caps for the duration of the war and throughout the occupation of Germany.

The smaller 'shirt size' officer's insignia which were intended to be worn on the shirt collar whenever the service coat was not worn were not authorized until July of 1918.

After the Army authorized the small sized insignia it would have taken some time for them to make their way overseas. Obviously, there is overwhelming evidence that shirt size insignia were worn on the overseas caps by both officers and enlisted men, it is likely that they were not seen in abundance until September, October and November of 1918.

Because the smaller devices were prescribed to be worn on the shirt collar, wearing them on an overseas cap was probably unauthorized. A 'by the book' commanding officer would probably have frowned upon the practice of wearing them on the caps. This is pure speculation, but my guess would be that maybe 25% to 30 % of AEF officers would have been wearing the smaller insignia by the end of the war.

The photo shows a shirt size captain's device on a Medical Corps piped overseas cap (top) and a full size captain's device on a infantry piped overseas cap (bottom).

post-5143-0-77889300-1389154453.jpg

world war I nerd

These period photos show both the small and large size rank insignia all being worn correctly on the left side of the cap's curtain; with the exception of Captain Rickenbacker who's wearing a British two button style overseas cap with his captain's insignia at the front.

post-5143-0-99462200-1389154812.jpg

Wow what a effort, well deserving of being pinned.

A question now, you all know I love to ask questions :lol: What was the very first AR in dealing with the new Unit Shoulder Patches emanating from the recent World War?

Both officers overseas caps you showed have piping.

I have a few WW1 officers overseas caps with no piping at all. They are clearly officers made of nice wool fabric, not felt.

What were the regulations on officers overseas piping?

world war I nerd

Hi toshik,

Overseas caps were adopted as an article of equipment for the AEF in January of 1918 to replace the Campaign Hats. From what I've read many units 'Over There' at the time were not issued the caps until a month or two later. However, many AEF officers were having uniforms made up by local tailors and probably would have an overseas cap made at that time to match the uniform. I can't find the exact date when piping was authorized for the officer's overseas caps, but if I remember correctly it was a month or two later.

Later in the war officers wore both piped and un-piped overseas caps, so both would be correct after the spring of 1918.

At the front officers were allowed to draw enlisted men's uniforms and equipment, so as not to ruin the better quality uniforms that they had to purchase with their own money. However, upon leaving the trenches, they were supposed to turn in all of the enlisted gear that they had drawn.

I've also read accounts of officers who dressed exactly like privates, with the exception of the rank insignia on their shoulder straps to avoid the unwanted attention of snipers who looked for the officer's cuff braid on the service coat and the looped knot rank insignia on officer's overcoats and even the piping on overseas caps, all of which identified them as an officer and a priority target.

Thank you!

The shoulder patches pictures you showed in your first reply use some kind of fabric underlayer between the physical patch and the uniform. Was this regulated in any way (later WW2 patches are self-containing piece sewn directly onto the uniform)

world war I nerd

WW I shoulder patches were made in a number of different ways and because of this you can't help but notice that they show up in a wide variety of styles. Early on a divisional insignia could have been pieced together in the field by an ambitious soldier using scraps of whatever material came to hand ... or it could have been made by a local seamstress in exchange for a can of corned beef or a few French francs ... or it could have been professionally fabricated in a tailor's shop in New York, Paris or London ... or it could have been hand painted or embroidered by a skilled artisan during the occupation of Germany ... or it could have been made to a standard pattern by the company tailor ... or it could have been manufactured in mass to be issued by the Army Quartermaster ... or it could have been created by a soldier's mother or sweetheart upon returning to America ... or it could have been commercially produced by a post war vendor who catered to the numerous veterans organizations in the 1910 and 1930s.

Each of these maker's insignia would feature slightly different materials, slightly different designs, slightly different sizes and slightly different construction methods. Therefore when you examine WW I shoulder patches, the quality and overall appearance will vary from crude and rustic to elegant and beautiful.

In respect to your question of the backing material; the answer is yes eventually the Army tried to create some uniformity and eventually most of the insignia were made with an OD backing cloth. However, by the time this happened many of the WW I Doughboys had already mustered out of the Army. In other instances, some soldiers trimmed away most of the backing cloth, leaving just a small border around the divisional insignia.