Cleaning Boots

Hangtough506th

Hangtough506th

I recently bought a nice pair of named jump boots (k company 325th) but they had either been dyed black or painted black. The brown appears to be wearing through in some places so I was wondering if there was any way I could clean them up better and get them back to their original colour?

Thanks,

Ben

post-109508-0-99572700-1388942191.jpg

post-109508-0-57827200-1388942219.jpg

Do you really feel these have been Dyed or painted Black? I admit it's hard to tell from the photos, but could these have been polished, rawhide laces included, so often as to give them a dark Mahongany appearance?

Hangtough506th

Possibly but it looks like there's brush marks on them in places where the original colour is clearest.

Hey I found your guy.

Russell W Sunbury Military Record

Name Russell W Sunbury Serial Number 20221694

Residence State New Jersey Residence County Essex

Enlistment Place Newark New Jersey Enlist Date (m/d/y) 09/16/1940

Grade Corporal Branch Infantry Source National Guard

Nativity Connecticut Birth Year 1918

Race + Citizenship White, Citizen Education

4 Years High School Civilian

Occupation Actors And Actresses

Marital Status Single, Without Dependents

Component Army National Guard - Officers and Enlisted Men

Possibly but it looks like there's brush marks on them in places where the original colour is clearest.

Right, did you get this from the vet or his family? Where did you get the boots, and the info that he was in the 325th Glider Infantry?

Hangtough506th

http://www.ww2-airborne.us/units/325/325_memories.html

If you read this it's an acount of his memorys from the war - where he went and what he did. I tracked the serial number and name and found it. I have this all printed off as well as his military record like you found and then have that with the boots.

I didn't get them from the faimly I got them from an antique shoe seller on eBay.

http://www.ww2-airborne.us/units/325/325_memories.html

If you read this it's an acount of his memorys from the war - where he went and what he did. I tracked the serial number and name and found it. I have this all printed off as well as his military record like you found and then have that with the boots.

I didn't get them from the faimly I got them from an antique shoe seller on eBay.

Thank's, I was begining to think perhaps he was in the 50s era, and these boots were dyed by him circa 1957-58. Also I found him here.

http://lostatnijmegen.pre-jump.nl/the-men-of-the-82nd-airborne-division

As far as why the boots are painted Black or you feel they are Black can be a few reasons, the most obvious is that these passed out of Sunbury's or his family's hands years ago, they were bought by some person who dyed or painted them, you know to wear say clubing.

But as from the photos they seem not that bad, as far as being really really Black, I might suggest that you leave them as is, I not an expert, but I believe using any solvents could irreparably damage the leather. Suprised no one else has given a look here and offered advice.