Signs of war

I Hate Moths

I Hate Moths

I just read a thread about reproduction signs and thought a reference to the originals would be helpful.

Please post your war, or military related sign photos, any place or time period.

This photo belonged to William Devine of the Army Air Corps. I think it was taken during the occupation or Berlin air lift.

post-7425-0-47971800-1388866837.jpg

The sign from Bravo 17, a Minuteman III launch site in North Dakota. This one was removed from the site after it was deactivated by the farmer whose land it sat on.

image.jpg

Here's one I picked up over the summer, out of the estate of a 45th ID vet. I also managed to acquire around 100 letters and a few photos he sent home, too -- haven't even started to read through them, but I'm sure it'll have some interesting content.

This sign comes out of Fort Rodman in New Bedford, MA, and is quite large at over 3 feet along each edge. Above the skull and crossbones, it has a hand-written date from September 1946, possibly signifying the vet's discharge date, and there was enough dirt on it that it seemed that it had been packed away in the garage since about that time. This was definitely one of those "never seen it before" items, and it fits in well with my attempt to focus on Massachusetts-related items. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

-- Jon

P.S. See if you can spot the mistake on the sign!

post-112103-0-25838500-1389290547.jpg

USCapturephotos

6th Maine Regiment (Civil War)

That is an amazing view. I have always been drawn to outdoor views from the Civil War. I only have a few in my collection. Thanks for sharing!

Paul

USCapturephotos

And a shot of GI's in July '45 sitting on the front of a mammoth abandoned German "Hunting Tiger" tank destroyer with a road sign laying on the front.

Paul

post-100030-0-77536600-1389456532.jpg

And a shot of GI's in July '45 sitting on the front of a mammoth abandoned German "Hunting Tiger" tank destroyer with a road sign laying on the front.

Paul

This sign most probably says "Umleitung" (detour).

BTW, what's the meaning of "d'Grub" in post #5/6. Is that a family name?

USCapturephotos

This sign most probably says "Umleitung" (detour).

BTW, what's the meaning of "d'Grub" in post #5/6. Is that a family name?

Danke!

Paul