USMC Q-Bar Qualification Badges & Suspension Bars

siege1863

This was known as the "Basic Badge".....This looks like the one my Father received at Parris Island in Summer 1951

Bill

robert60446
This was known as the "Basic Badge".....This looks like the one my Father received at Parris Island in Summer 1951

Bill

Hi Bill, great note. Do you have your father picture with this type of badge by any chance?

ps. I think this type was in use for some time, it is hard to lock it on hard dates...

• 2 months later...

Got this one today and it's the first time I've come across one of these with the US MARINE CORPS on the top bar and the "EX" in front of the weapon type. This came from the estate of a Marine who enlisted in 1938 so I assume they are from that period.

shoot0815.jpg

shoot0815back.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

You are correct, the most widely used through the WW2 period, the EX represents the word EXPERT. And the round planchet comes in a variety of styles. I believe yours is of the "issue" variety.

jeremiahcable

Interesting to note that the the carbine bar is sterling and the pistol bar is lead, believed to be a wartime measure. Nice pick up!

• 5 months later...

It's not often that a set of Q-Bars tells you exactly what a man's MOS was...especially with USMC Q-Bars, as there were so few used and even less authorized. But this one tells you exactly what the man did. The pin is a bit bent at the swivel and the bottom two rings are pinched tight in a repair, but the Howitzer bar is pretty neat, IMHO.

Arty_Q_Bar.JPG

a lot of unauthorized bars were used during WWII. the badge itself is earlier, with the c-clasp, but the bars could be later.

teufelhunde.ret
a lot of unauthorized bars were used during WWII. the badge itself is earlier, with the c-clasp, but the bars could be later.

...anyone know if there was an "official list" of these bars? And when their official use began and ended?

craig_pickrall

There is a list of authorized Q Bars in the USMC 1937 Uniform Reg that was used through WW2. I didn't check later references such as the Guidebook to see if there is an authorized list but I would think such a list is in each version of the uniform regs.

William Emerson wrote a great book titled MARKSMANSHIP IN THE US ARMY that also has a list of all Army Q bars that are authorized. The Army redesigned their Marksmanship Awards in 1921 and there is a list that has the authorized dates of use. Some first issued in 1921 are still authorized today. The book was published in 2001 so it is current through that date.

I know of a few lists that cover some of the unauthorized bars but that is just an info list only. Since they are not authorized there is no reliable way to record dates of usage and also no way to make a complete list.

As for the Award that Brig has shown the only USMC authorized bar is the SS-PISTOL. All of the USMC authorized bars during WW2 either had a EX or SS prefix. This was peculiar to the USMC only.

The FIELD ARTY - D is an unauthorized bar by both the USMC and the Army. D usually means dismounted. The USMC had no bar close to this and the closest Army bar is FIELD ARTY authorized from 1921 to present.

The HOWITZER is an unauthorized bar by both the USMC and the Army. The USMC had SS - HOWITZER and EX - HOWITZER as authorized bars. The closest Army bar is INF HOWITZER authorized from 1921 to 1942.

There are more unauthorized bars than authorized versions and most of them saw wide usage by both Army and Marines.

teufelhunde.ret
There is a list of authorized Q Bars in the USMC 1937 Uniform Reg that was used through WW2. I didn't check later references such as the Guidebook to see if there is an authorized list but I would think such a list is in each version of the uniform regs.

... anyone w/ a scan of this page?

craig_pickrall

These are the 5 plates from the USMC 1937 Uniform Regs that show Marksmanship and Gunnery awards. I have shown them in reverse order from the manual so the main plate you are interested in appears first. There is a total of 69 plates showing all of the uniforms, awards, decorations, etc.

post-5-1235151426.jpg

Others that I know exist, because I have them in my collection either loose or on a badge.

EXPERT

EX AUTO RIFLE

EX-AUTO-RIFLE

EX-BAYONET

EX-CARBINE

EX – CARBINE

EX-L ARTY

EX.MACHINE GUN

EX-MACH. GUN

EX-PISTOL

EXP.PISTOL

EX-RIFLE

EX. RIFLE

EX-RIFLE-B

EX-RIFLE-D

EX. SMALL BORE

EX-T.S.M.G.

MARINE EX. BAYONET

SHARPSHOOTER

SS-AUTO-RIFLE

S.S. B.A.R.

SS-CARBINE

SS-HOWITZER

SS – PISTOL

S S RIFLE

SS-RIFLE-B

SS-RIFLE-D

SS – SMALLBORE

SS – T.S.M.G.

MARKSMAN

MM RIFLE B

MM RIFLE C

post-5056-1235716857.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I think this one is the style that's supposed to have qual bars on it. As you can see, it has none. It's just the toilet seat, wreath and EGA.

post-1107-1237507550.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

here are some later, nearing the end of usage Meyers Basic badges on cards and in envelope. some marked with postwar markings, most not. all clutchback...notice the shine

Carded_Basics_1.JPG

Carded_Basics_4.JPG

• 1 month later...

here's an interesting badge that sold on eBay for $58 last week...pot metal main badge with Q-Bars from the basic badge

_BSPjEfwBWk___KGrHgoH_DMEjlLlvjJvBKCLb_BTcw___1.jpg

_BSPjFDgBmk___KGrHgoH_DMEjlLluysEBKCLb_y86____1.jpg

• 2 months later...

a nice qual badge to a Marine who served in China during his career, this brought 50 on eBay...has a Cavalry and Sabre bar...

_BYP5KuQ_mk___KGrHgoH_DEEjlLl0zoyBKgf_8Z67Q___12.jpg

• 6 months later...
the architect

A Newbie here.

I am putting together a medal display to commemorate my father's USMC service in WW2. I am trying to figure out which marksmanship medals he would have earned during his basic training and OCS. He was at Quantico during 1942 or 1943 and served in the Pacific with the Fifth Regiment. The attached phot shows him at his OCS graduation. I assume that the badge on the left is a Rifle Sharpshooter and the one on the right is a Basic Shooting badge with two qualification bars. Does anyone know what these bars might be for? And where might I find replacements? Could there have been other qualifications he could have earned after this photo?

post-10492-1268329479.jpg

Edmund J Coan

Captain USMC

WW2

SN 018344

I have not been able to get his DD 214 or his separation papers, but the Navy did send me four medals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim