USMC Marksmanship Badges w/ Date Ladder Suspensions

USMCR79

NOTE:

FELLOW FORUM MEMBERS,

This topic is split from the original 31 page USMC Marksmanship Badge topic. With recent changes to the forum now containing a separate marksmanship badge subforum, we will gradually be splitting the large catch-all topic into more appropriate independent topics where they can be more easily accessed and referenced.

This thread will remain the "catch-all" for annual rifle/pistol engraved qualification badges with date ladder suspensions, however members are not limited to posting their badges here and may feel free to start their own topics for the discussion of other badges. This topic excludes the general 'Q-Badges', which will have a dedicated topic of their own.

-Brig

Slightly "off-topic".....Expert Rifle badge from BGen. Kenneth Inman USMC

Bill

post-248-1192154022.jpg

• 1 year later...

Here're some interesting pieces. I had heard of these in awards letters from a USMC grouping I have...three year date bar multiple awards for expert badges...but these were the first I've actually come across. On the left is a nice pistol expert badge with the years 1957-58-59 engraved on the bar. The other bar is for the rifle badge and is engraved 1959-60-61... both are rear marked Sterling and 12C. What can you guys tell me about these bars and 12C marks. How long were these used? I know through the late 50s and early 60s from the awards letters I have.

Ex_Date_Bars_Front.JPG

Ex_Date_Bars_Rear.JPG

• 8 months later...

here's a beauty that brought a mere 105 on the Bay. would have placed a higher bid myself but I had multiple items in the eye

_BokT5Tw_mk___KGrHqMH_CUEuN4MRrlZBLn8ybeEQ____3.jpg

_BokTm_g_2k___KGrHgoH_C_EjlLl1f5kBLn8_s_pqw___3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

these Vietnam era engraved bar badges just don't come along too often, I'd love to know more about when they started/stopped it in the 50s/60s. This interesting bar is dated 1962-64-65. so either he missed a year at the range, or 1963 was a bad year to qualify for this Marine

100_5442.JPG

• 2 months later...

this must be my consolation prize from a recent trade that finally arrived. This is about as early as they come, gents...beautiful badge

100_7865.JPG

100_7866.JPG

• 1 year later...
teufelhunde.ret

Have seen many, many striking shooting badges thru the years, this one caught my breathe...! A pre WW1 BB&B Expert Badge, even the ladders are BB&B stamped. Failed to sell at ebay auction

__KGrHqRHJD_E7BcvhrRMBO55TzbL_Q__60_3.jpg

__KGrHqFHJ_8E63SLfr6uBO55UyzbMQ__60_3.jpg

__KGrHqJHJDME63ZMUdQ_BO55VJF2KQ__60_3.jpg

Have seen many, many striking shooting badges thru the years, this one caught my breathe...! A pre WW1 BB&B Expert Badge, even the ladders are BB&B stamped. Failed to sell at ebay auction

This is beautiful! Did they have a reserve that was not met? Is that why it did not sell?

....Kat

teufelhunde.ret
This is beautiful! Did they have a reserve that was not met? Is that why it did not sell?

....Kat

Yes, if I recall correctly, $750...?

Yes, if I recall correctly, $750...?

Whoa! Is it worth that much? I think that is rather steep. Do you think he was trying to "feel" people out to see the value?

Edit to add: I do have a weakness for shooting badges but I am not THAT weak. :lol: I am too poor.

....Kat

Here are the latest ones I picked up.

The expert rifleman badge is unmarked, but the two dated ladder bars are (Cant make out the manufacturer though). Not sure if this us USMC or early Army. The badge could be either, but just not sure about the dated bars. I don't recall seeing any Marines wearing this style.

The basic badge and ladder bars are all un marked.

post-5056-1325191501.jpg

post-5056-1325191514.jpg

post-5056-1325191524.jpg

post-5056-1325191652.jpg

• 1 year later...

And these two Expert Rifles with ladders...great pre-war and post-war example. Pre-war you can see is hand-engraved, post-war machine engraved Meyers with a repaired pinback. Though the years aren't pre-war, I recall the bars were suspended during the war and issued retroactively post war. These are getting tougher to find

101_3139.JPG

And these two Expert Rifles with ladders...great pre-war and post-war example. Pre-war you can see is hand-engraved, post-war machine engraved Meyers with a repaired pinback. Though the years aren't pre-war, I recall the bars were suspended during the war and issued retroactively post war. These are getting tougher to find

Beautiful examples! ....Kat

• 4 months later...

FELLOW FORUM MEMBERS,

This topic is split from the original 31 page USMC Marksmanship Badge topic. With recent changes to the forum now containing a separate marksmanship badge subforum, we will gradually be splitting the large catch-all topic into more appropriate independent topics where they can be more easily accessed and referenced.

This thread will remain the "catch-all" for annual rifle/pistol engraved qualification badges with date ladder suspensions, however members are not limited to posting their badges here and may feel free to start their own topics for the discussion of other badges. This topic excludes the general 'Q-Badges', which will have a dedicated topic of their own.

• 2 months later...

Perhaps, it went unsold on eBay a couple weeks ago

correct, it was mine and after the ebay listing ended she contacted me. Now she is the proud owner.

correct, it was mine and after the ebay listing ended she contacted me. Now she is the proud owner.

I just saw these posts. So sorry that I missed these. I am the extremely proud owner! :love: This is my first shooting badge with dates. I was VERY excited to get it.

...Kat

Well I guess that's a pretty solid chain of custody, then