USMC Engraved Rifle/Pistol Qualification Badges

kfields

• 1 month later...

Brig I was on vacation when you posted that beautiful 1911 ER so I missed it! Picked this one up from a kind forum member who remembered I collect China Marine stuff and have Budd's China album....there was a thread on it several years ago but it should go into this thread now. Budd got this one in 1912 while he was still stationed in China for the 1911 target year....given the delay in issuing I believe these early badges where engraved stateside and then shipped over as there was always at least a several l month delay between quantifying and awarding....must have had to have HQ USMC concurrence.

Budd_Reverse.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

That's a really nice one Brig,

named/dated awards show the types of awards and the catch types that were used in certain time periods, I'll have to start collecting photos.

cheers,

-John

Here's a named and dated sharpshooter badge. I've been told engraved shooting badges is more of a Marine tradition. Any truth to that?

post-60-1175363741.jpg

I figured this tradition had pretty much died out. However I purchased this 80's vintage shooting badge and was surprised to see that it was dated, though not named. Is this the qualification date and do Marines still engrave their stuff like this today?

post-60-1175363789.jpg

post-60-1175363828.jpg

OEC2-81 indicates the badge was made by the "Officer's Equipment Company" in February 1981. OEC made a lot of Marine Corps metal insignia.

They still do, as they're one of the few companies who haven't lost their contract. H&H went under in 07, Meyers in the late 80s. Vanguard still makes insignia, but I've only seen Navy insignia by them at the PX

• 10 months later...

WWI privately engraved safety-pinback type expert badge I just picked up, dated 1918. He spent his time in in the 3rd Provisional Regiment and served with the Guardia Nacional Detachment in the Dominican Republic

101_4080.JPG

FELLOW FORUM MEMBERS,

This topic is split from the original 31 page USMC Marksmanship Badge topic. With recent changes to the forum now containing a separate marksmanship badge subforum, we will gradually be splitting the large catch-all topic into more appropriate independent topics where they can be more easily accessed and referenced.

This thread will remain the "catch-all" for annual rifle/pistol engraved qualification badges, however members are not limited to posting their badges here and may feel free to start their own topics for the discussion of other badges.

• 1 year later...