USMC Marksmanship Competition Badges

teufelhunde.ret

Beautiful Distinguished Badge that brought 2125 on eBay

It is beautiful! Does the decimal point go at the end of that amount? :lol:

...Kat

it does...gold value of 14k at 15.7 dwt is about 600...his starting price was 650. And an early, engraved distinguished badge to an officer? Not a surprising price

trust me, if the decimal was anywhere but the end of that, it would have been mine!

it does...gold value of 14k at 15.7 dwt is about 600...his starting price was 650. And an early, engraved distinguished badge to an officer? Not a surprising price

trust me, if the decimal was anywhere but the end of that, it would have been mine!

I did not know these were made of real gold. It sure is a beautiful medal.

Thanks for posting this.

...Kat

I did not know these were made of real gold. It sure is a beautiful medal.

Thanks for posting this.

...Kat

they were then...don't know about now. Probably not...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

FELLOW FORUM MEMBERS,

This topic is split from the original 31 page USMC Marksmanship Badge topic. With recent changes to the forum now containing a separate marksmanship badge subforum, we will gradually be splitting the large catch-all topic into more appropriate independent topics where they can be more easily accessed and referenced.

This thread will remain the "catch-all" for competition awarded badges, however members are not limited to posting their badges here and may feel free to start their own topics for the discussion of other badges.

14k Elliot Trophy that sold on eBay for a best offer price below 1700...all I know with eBay's new ways of doing things

$_57 (2).JPG

rear

$_57 (3).jpg

• 3 months later...
blitzkrieg gsd

These badges are all very cool and I like them all. Have you guys ever saw one from the regional match winners? The one from the mid sixtys is in my fathers bedroom. They are made in glass and have a wooden base anyone have one like that they can show. One day I'll get some pics of them and post them if you guys are into it.

I have a few of the Blackinton style recreational match medals encased in I believe Lucite, no wooden base, similar to what you're talking about

• 2 weeks later...
blitzkrieg gsd

Brig sorry for the delay to respond. I'm very interestd in these medals like I said my father has the only two I have seen. If the site will let me post pics from my iPhone or iPad I'll do it. Will be over there this weekend and can take a couple pics of them. In the mean time I would like to see what you have to compare. All I know about them is what he has told me. That s they were won in the reginal rifle team match in the mid sixtys. But I do think it was a team award not something he got alone I need to ask him about that. Put please show what you have and I'll try to do the same. Thanks for all the info you can share with me.

Here are the 3 I own. If memory serves, all the lucite ones I've seen were from the 1956 and 1958 Marine Corps Reserve. I'm curious to see yours, as these preceed them and lack the wood base.

101_5400.JPG

rears

101_5401.JPG

blitzkrieg gsd

Those are close brig but not quite the same. And I'm sure his are from mid sixtys and I was there today and forgot to take pics. But I'm going back soon and I'll get some pics for you. I would like to know how many of them you seen out in the world. And thanks for showing me yours I like them a lot.

• 4 months later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

I still want to see those pics Blitzkrieg! And Brig, if you ever decide to part with any of your Lucite cased or loose medals, you know who to call!

I actually added one since that image. And 2 more, one with an awesome statue in lucite, but the seller threw them in a padded envelope and they burst out the bottom in transit and never made it to me :(

As I continue remodeling my moto room, I need to find a way to display these types of medals...they take up a lot of room!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Salvage Sailor

These are some of the Hawaii Marines Blackinton medals I have, named, and in the original boxes dated 1962 to 1963

USA USMC 02.JPG

• 1 year later...

There were only three Marines that won the Distinguished Pistol Shot and Distinguished Rifleman badge during the time period 1960 to 1969.

Caudill, Curtis E 1960 1960

Barker, Donald G 1961 1961

Dinnan, Raymond W 1965 1965

It appears that these are MSGT Dinnan's awards..... he must have been a shooting God.

It has been 10 years since this was posted, I was thinking about my old Rifle Team instructor and googled his name and this post came up. He was one helleva shot in rifle and pistol. He would take out a 600 yard ram offhand. He was a sniper in Korea and had some great stories, appropriate for a 13 year old, mostly. He knew a lot and passed it on with very little words but his teaching was easily understood. He had a chiseled face and look every bit of drill instructor he was. Managed a gun club till the 90's and passed away a few years back.

• 2 months later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here are three Annual Rifle Squad Competition badges. I just added the silver today to complete the set. Interestingly, the silver seems to have two small circles at each end of the suspension bar. Anyone else seen ones like this?

post-133515-0-73912000-1490411826_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...