USMC Marksmanship Competition Badges

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

NOTE:

FELLOW FORUM MEMBERS,

This topic is split from the original 31 page USMC Marksmanship Badge topic. With recent changes to the forum now containing a separate marksmanship badge subforum, we will gradually be splitting the large catch-all topic into more appropriate independent topics where they can be more easily accessed and referenced.

This thread will remain the "catch-all" for competition awarded badges, however members are not limited to posting their badges here and may feel free to start their own topics for the discussion of other badges.

-Brig

This beauty went out the door on ebay this week for a whopping $733. You will not see these at auction very often!!!!!!!

smith_trophy_773..jpg

teufelhunde.ret

This beauty went out the door this week on ebay for a whopping 799. YOU WILL NOT SEE THESE AT AUCTION VERY OFTEN !!!!!

distinguished_marksman_799..jpg

distinguished_marsman_rear.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

This beauty went out the door on ebay this week for a whopping $1225 bucks!!!!!!! These are seldon seen in an auction scene.

pistol_coach_1225..jpg

teufelhunde.ret

That particular one of the group of four weighed 29 grams. Have no idea what 29 grams of 14kt melt down would bring?? think.gif

Do you know if the naming on the medals was buffed off ? Looks like it might be the product of photoshop.

Kurt

teufelhunde.ret
Do you know if the naming on the medals was buffed off ? Looks like it might be the product of photoshop.

Kurt

The seller blocked the name to avoid any embarrassment to the family. All four were to a Master Sgt. for a match(es)? in the 60's. This auction is found @ http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=018

The best shot of a whole name was on this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=018

Looks like photoshop... should be able to figure name out from pistol badge.

I actually saw one of these in person the other day. One of my friends has one in his collection, and it was the first time I had heard of these shooting badges. I will have to forward this thread to him, 1625 is a ton.

jeremiahcable

The sad fact of the matter is that these aren't rare awards. Someone with more money than patience or dare I say common sense. Oh well. :wacko:

Jeremiah

101combatvet

There were only three Marines that won the Distinguished Pistol Shot and Distinguished Rifleman badge during the time period 1960 to 1969.

Caudill, Curtis E 1960 1960

Barker, Donald G 1961 1961

Dinnan, Raymond W 1965 1965

It appears that these are MSGT Dinnan's awards..... he must have been a shooting God.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

1914 & 1915 Divisional Badges that sold for $575 and were awarded to Albert L Notheis

TargetMedal1.jpg

rears

TargetMedal2.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's a 1937 Division rifle badge in bronze, named to Sgt. Samuel L. Slocum. A few photos of him below.

post-10651-1277776357.jpg

Slocum picked up a commission during WWII. He saw combat on Iwo Jima and at the Chosin Reservoir. Here he is wearing his two gold Distinguished badges.

post-10651-1277776461.jpg

post-10651-1277776468.jpg

• 2 years later...

A number of years ago, I found these two medals, the Elliot Trophy and the Edson Trophy at a flea market. I got them for the price of 14K scrap (which one of the badges was marked--and was well before the price of gold made its big recent run-up). Lucky for me, the other badge turned out to be 18K! Both are pin back and look to be from the WWII time period. One was engraved on the back, but someone buffed off the name and you can't read it at all.

I posted these a few years ago on the forum and no one ever commented.

post-1519-0-99880600-1354316476.jpg

post-1519-0-95818300-1354316487.jpg

• 3 months later...