Iraq OIF Push to Baghdad Grouping

mondo_fondo

Hey guys. I got a few months ago directly from the vet grouping. He was in the 5th Marine Regiment, and was in the drive to Baghdad back in 2003.post-118766-0-68874700-1388796888.jpg

post-118766-0-69040800-1388796906.jpg

post-118766-0-07475300-1388796927.jpg

post-118766-0-49825400-1388796940.jpg

I got this straight from the vet. He was awarded the purple heart as well as the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement medal with Valor. I got everything he had left. I got his helmet cover, DCUs, Vest, pouches, canteens, Molle Vest, his small backpack he used when they got to Baghdad, His large pack with sleeping bag, KABAR, Boonie, Holster, Etool, and goretex bottoms, as well as his Night Vision. I also grabbed a map he carried. I also grabbed a bottle of sand he had from the Tigris and 6 MRE's and boots. I will not reveal his name, and I don't think he would want me to. I forgot, I also got some pouches and his kneepads.

Cool stuff man! That dust we called "Haji Dust" on the Ka-Bar and Camel back would not come off! It is still on a lot of my gear from OIF-1. Legit grouping, great stuff!

Well that is one great find and I am super uber jealous. If you can you may want to get pics of him and get his story.

Again, great pick-up.

Bob

Nice grouping. But in the USMC, the vest, knife, pack, sleeping bag, etc. (what we call 783 gear, I think the Army calls it TA-50) belongs to the unit, not the individual. If he had a helmet, it would fall into that category as well. He would have had to return the items when he checked out of the unit, or submit a "missing gear statement" and explain what happened to all the stuff. Some smalls, like helmet covers, are almost considered expendable and usually don't raise red flags if missing at checkout. But several hundred dollars worth of missing ballistic protection gear (which was in short supply in Iraq at the time) probably wouldn't have gone unnoticed.

The knife looks to be a tanto style private purchase fighting knife. He would normally have been issued a bayonet/fighting knife combination (Ontario OKC 3S).

Darn, fat fingers. 782 gear. I don't want any other Marines calling me out. I guess the "Edit" button only stays active for a little while and then times out.

On the knife, private purchase ones are OK and can be perfectly legit. I carried a personally owned Ka-Bar in Desert Storm and Somalia and an Ontario Freedom Fighter with an 8" blade on both my Iraq tours.