Variable density goggles

AZPhil

The red flip lens was adapted for observation of tracers in ground anti-aircraft use there fore would be listed in tables for AA units. The red lens version is not a superseding item but rather adapted for a different use and co-exist with the type discussed here. The goggles without red flip lens are for aerial gunners with the earlier version being grey and later manufacture being of a black neoprene cushion. The aerial gunner variable density goggles are naval so would it will be a rare observation to see them in use within the AAF.

Now my head is spinning. Do I or don't I have the correct goggles. I keep on finding these pic's of flight gear with the goggles I have. Then I see the other type in both gray and black without the red flip up lense's,some called AAF some Navy and now I'm starting to wonder if I blew $50. When I get home from work I will post a pic of the label on the tin box these came in and maybe the contract # will mean something to smoebody

I do greatly appreciate everybodies input on these. I thought this would be a "Great Goggles Phil" thread. But it's turning into a lesson in Goggles. Which I don't mind. Its a good day when you learn something!!!!! I look forward to see how this turns out.

Semper Fi

Phil

post-11740-0-13858900-1388957157.jpg

Now my head is spinning. Do I or don't I have the correct goggles. I keep on finding these pic's of flight gear with the goggles I have. Then I see the other type in both gray and black without the red flip up lense's,some called AAF some Navy and now I'm starting to wonder if I blew $50. When I get home from work I will post a pic of the label on the tin box these came in and maybe the contract # will mean something to smoebody

I do greatly appreciate everybodies input on these. I thought this would be a "Great Goggles Phil" thread. But it's turning into a lesson in Goggles. Which I don't mind. Its a good day when you learn something!!!!! I look forward to see how this turns out.

Semper Fi

Phil

Welcome to the wonderful world of USAAF collecting Phil !!! it is a constant learning curve buddy !!

but just sit back ,take it all in and most of all ENJOY !!

LB

Your first issue is that your using mock up's, recreations for your "reference" pictures, these are hardly definitive. One reason your seeing the red flip lens goggle is because they are so darn common. The non red lens goggles are Navy. The whole thing with the red flip lens variable density goggle is a complete collector recreation and at some point was labeled as AAF gunners goggles and everyone bought it. Your seeing these goggles in displays mainly because they look cool and are based on zero historical provenance.

IMO the red flip lens goggle has no place in a AAF headgear display! the other type would be certainly correct for a naval head gear display and as the AAF picture posted here illustrated can have merit in a AAF display.

Johan Willaert

Nice to see a picture of the gray goggles in AAF use, but still none of the ones with the flip lens....

I would suggest not using these goggles for a general USAAF setup... They might have been used but are not really representative for a standard display...

My 02cts..

Gotcha and thanks for the info.

I said I would post the tin case so here we go. Maybe somebody can find some info on the contract #.

Semper Fi

Phil

post-11740-0-37750000-1389063872.jpg

Also one more pic.

When Blue leader posted that picture of BG Travis wearing those goggles, I thought He looks very familiar and here is why. Travis sure liked those goggles!!!

Here he is getting off of the B17 my uncle was the tailgunner on and also he was shot down in a month after this pic was taken. The "Mrs Geezil"

This pic is from the 384th Bomb Group website. I also work for that site.

Semper Fi

Phil

post-11740-0-51537800-1389064373.jpg

That's not a gunner. That is Brigadier General Robert F Travis, CO of the 41st Combat Bombardment Wing.

He was flying with the 384th on the B17 "Mrs Geezil" as the Flight leader for that mission on February 28th 1944.

Semper Fi

Phil

That's not a gunner. That is Brigadier General Robert F Travis, CO of the 41st Combat Bombardment Wing.

He was flying with the 384th on the B17 "Mrs Geezil" as the Flight leader for that mission on February 28th 1944.

Semper Fi

Phil

Wonder why he was wearing those goggles ?????

Wonder why he was wearing those goggles ?????

He obviously liked to use them. This would be the second picture we have here on this thread of him wearing them.

Maybe it was because the attack tactics of the German Luftwaffe at that time was to do head on attacks and since they were always flying eastbound that would put the sun right in the pilots eyes and the use of these type goggles could be of benefit.

One question I would like answered would be, Why an ARMY Air Force General was wearing Navy goggle?????

But they wore what they could and what worked for them.

Semper Fi

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
SergeantMajorGray

Does Phil's tin have a Navy contract #?

Ideas?

Dave

No looks Army to me it's not the same as my Navy ones that starts with N.X.S but it looks like his cost 99 cent while mine were $4 ;)

For a standard AAF flight suit display, you can't go wrong with a set of AN6530 goggles (expensive), a set of RAF goggles, or a set of M1944 goggles (rubber) with the chamois lining. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken...

BTW, the variable density goggles were also used for nuclear testing & if I recall correctly, were issued to the crew members of the Enola Gay & Bock's Car (and associated support aircraft). Not to mention also used in stateside gunnery training.

Thanks M1Marksman.

I did pick up a pair of #1065 goggles that I am using for my display.

Talking outside of this box, Your user name???? I shoot in the CMP Garand matches. Do you???

Semper Fi

Phil

1065, B8, there are a few types. I have 2 sets of the variable density goggles, both made by American Optical (Type 74-G-79-40). I even have a Navy goggle for simulated blind flying with a blue lens (device No. 1-F-4b, Stock No. T93-G-563200, also by American Optical)..

I have not participated in a CMP Garand match other than a CMP-sanctioned rifle clinic. The username was chosen to reflect my natural ability to hit what I aim at with the M1.