Card Modeling: Ships

Teamski

Hey folks,

Several years ago, I visited my friend in the UK. He had a card model of the Titanic. I was shocked at the detailing and it's cheap price. So, when I came back, I found a source that sold card models. I can't recommend card modeling enough. It requires patience and a steady hand, but it doesn't require paint and a kit can cost you as little as $4. Most card models are printed in Poland and they come in booklet form. Now, there are German and some US companies (primarily electronic) that put out some beautiful models as well. Most models come in 1:400 or the huge 1:200 scale. I have done both. Amazing and a lot of fun!

Here are a couple pictures of what these kits look like. You can see my finished USS North Carolina in 1:400 scale.

-Ski

post-3043-1210476300.jpg

Bob Hudson
And finally.... I hope you enjoyed the pictures. If you have any questions, let me know!

-Ski

Amazing - are the guns and everything made from cardstock?

Amazing - are the guns and everything made from cardstock?

You could if you want to, but I prefer using strip styrene or even toothpicks.

-Ski

That pales in comparison to this 1/100 scale card model of the Arizona currently being built by fellow modeler. This is hard core stuff!

post-5589-0-44540500-1403550442.jpg

post-5589-0-82412000-1403550448.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Most card models are printed in Poland and they come in booklet form.

Yes, you are right. This periodic booklet is going by the name of "Mały Modelarz" ("Little Modeller"). This kind of modelling is the Polish specialization and our card designers are highly experienced. In 2007 "Mały Modelarz" had its 50th Anniversary of its presence on the domestic and international markets.

Best regards

Greg

• 9 months later...
HolyHappiness

I tried doing those once, I definantly didn't have the patience. Hat off to you. Amazing Arizona!

P.S. I have those same joysticks in the background LOL!

brandon_rss18

Very cool! I would be interested in doing one of these myself. Do you know if they also have aircraft? Also, is there a website where you can order these that isnt in Polish?

Very cool! I would be interested in doing one of these myself. Do you know if they also have aircraft? Also, is there a website where you can order these that isnt in Polish?

Yes and yes! Tons of planes, tanks, and ships.

http://www.papermodelstore.com/

Here is one I am currently working on. It's a 1:200 scale full hull Fletcher.....

-Ski

post-3043-1238445675.jpg