My WWII A Little Bit of Everything Collection War Room

Hookemhorns88

I really don't know what to say - I'm awestruck!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing this magnificent collection.

I've been to museums that don't have as many items as yours. I salute you.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Hookemhorns88

I have added some drawers to the table that I built for my room about this time last year. I am running out of room for my stuff. So as I accumulate more "smalls" I will simply add more drawers under the table. Of course that does cause me to lose some storage place for larger items.

post-147204-0-32977000-1420327689.jpg

post-147204-0-36078300-1420327690.jpg

Incredible use of space for display. not much more than an inch appears to go unused in most areas! Great items and well displayed!

Hookemhorns88

Yikes. I'm sorry if you already mentioned it but how long have you been collecting (and how does your wife handle it - does she collect anything? )?

I have been casually collecting for about 20 years; only in the last couple of years have I made an attempt to look for stuff. I live in a small town so a lot of stuff finds me. Raising two kids and paying for their college does not leave much disposable income either. I hit the local flea market and estate sales occasionally.

My wife does not collect anything. She is the big spender though. I hate spending money so I usually get good deals at the flea markets and usually pay what they are asking at estate sales. I designed our house and had the room specifically built upstairs for my collection. She is OK with it because she knows that I enjoy it and it is a topic of discussion whenever people come over for visits. My wife is also a teacher so I usually do show and tells at the local school.

jayhawkhenry

Very nice room. I like the use if wood & tin, gives it a bunker feel. Looks like you used up all of your space & used it well.

Henry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4th Miss Cav

Amazing collection! Thanks for sharing it with the forum. I love what you did with the drawers for display. Just never thought of that. I live in a small rural community as well where everybody knows everybody and I have picked up more than a few pieces because others know of my interest. About 2 months ago a friend of mine brought by what he called a knife. It was a bayonet and scabbard for a 1903 Springfield. Just wanted me to have it. I love small town America.

Hookemhorns88

Amazing collection! Thanks for sharing it with the forum. I love what you did with the drawers for display. Just never thought of that. I live in a small rural community as well where everybody knows everybody and I have picked up more than a few pieces because others know of my interest. About 2 months ago a friend of mine brought by what he called a knife. It was a bayonet and scabbard for a 1903 Springfield. Just wanted me to have it. I love small town America.

I have had several occasions like that. Most, I have found, do not want compensation. They are glad that the items are getting a second life and are being enjoyed. One person gave me a WW1 DSC, early s/n, and wanted me to have it because he knew about my room and that many people will be able to see it and enjoy it.

I am truly blessed.

• 6 months later...
Hookemhorns88

I picked this uniform up last fall. I found the patches in the pockets. You could faintly see where they had been previously sewn onto the jacket along with overseas bars and a service stripe. The overseas bars and service bars are replacements. I had them all hand-sewn back on with cotton thread.

The garrison cap and dress hat is his. I also acquired his service pants and belt and a hand knitted Red Cross scarf.

The soldier immigrated over from Syria as a youngster with his family. They all became prominent citizens (doctors, dentists, and businessmen) in my hometown. As noted with the SSI he served in both the ETO and PTO. I am still trying to build my file on him.

post-147204-0-55231400-1436986095.jpg

post-147204-0-41351500-1436986096.jpg

Hookemhorns88

Will you adopt me?

Let me get both of my kids off of the payroll first! The daughter is almost 100% off and my son has two years of college left. Just hang in there!

Thanks for looking and glad that you enjoyed it.

From a fellow longhorns fan, great collection. This is what I'm going for but the wife may kick me out first. Thanks for posting. HOOKEM

(ps Oklahoma sucks)

Hookemhorns88

Looks more like a lot of everything collection. Does your wife know about this?

Yes, the wife knows AND approves!! There has been times where she has had to encourage me to buy something because I tend to get too frugal sometimes!!! All she has to say is, "when are you going to come across something like this again?" A valid point taken.

Jumpin Jack

I know! I shudder just thinking about how much I have invested in the frames! One reason I joined this forum is to determine the value of what I have. Since I am not an expert on anything I am very cautious on what I buy and I do not buy big ticket items. Hopefully the kind folks on this forum will help me out.

That's what I call a stairway to history. Extremely well done! Jack

Hookemhorns88

That's what I call a stairway to history. Extremely well done! Jack

Thanks Jack. Much appreciated, especially from one with such an outstanding collection and display.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...