Jumpin Jack's Collection

I wish to take this opportunity to draw your attention to the display cases shown in the various photos. All were designed by me, are modular allowing them to be moved as required, and were constructed as a gift from my Father-in-law. Primary wood is pine, which has been stained. Interior fabric colors are coordinated to reflect the displayed material. The wall cases currently contain my Third Reich belt/buckle collection, which is one of the most complete in the world. The lower center cases contain mostly assorted WWII U.S. material, usually by subject matter. These lower cases are doubled sided, while the wall cases are single sided, and with a large storage area below. My outlook on collecting is that the items are only a part of the hobby, while their display is the other. I have further expanded the display aspect by having data plaques made to identify the item, and honor the individual it belonged to. Jack Angolia

donation2007.gifdonation2014.gif

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-247-0-60731600-1389035954.jpgpost-247-0-60731600-1389035954.jpgA few pieces of headgear. The crusher cap shown 2nd from left belonged to Maj. Turner, Tuskegee airman, while the Aviation Cadet visor cap with blue band is that of 2nd from right belonged to 2nd Lt. Carl C. Perkins, Jr., 2138 AAFBU, Craig Field. He earned the American Defense Medal, WWII Victory Medal, and Pilot wings.

The contents of the display case are Luftwaffe related belts/buckles. The brocade dress belt and gold shoulder cord in the black case in the center belonged to Reichsmarshall Hermann Goring.

post-247-0-17836700-1389038392.jpgDisplaying field gear is a very difficult aspect of collecting. The best means is to do it as originally worn (full mannequin), but space and mannequin availability are limiting factors. One techique that I have used is on a field or bunk lay out, but again space is a problem. The third technique is as shown, but it limits proper display, but better than being boxed up.

post-247-0-69375700-1389039343.jpgAviation Cadet Uniform belonging to 1st Lt. D. K. Griffiths, 8th USAAF. The cut of the tunic is regulation USAAF, and shows the rank of Cadet Sgt.. We had three kills to his credit. He holds a Cadet year book.

post-247-0-18983700-1389039713.jpg One means to display field gear. At the far end of the cot is a foot locker complete with uniform and underwear in the lower level, and assorted of misc items in the top tray. The helmet is a fixed bail M1 with Hawley liner. Period hygiene items are most difficult to obtain.

post-247-0-56888700-1389041382.jpgSelection of uniforms from dress (right) to field uniforms. The field uniform at left is a put-together circa European Theatre about October 1944. The field uniform second from left belonged to Capt. William P. Kenton, 10th Armored Division. He enlisted in 1942, received his commission via OCS, Prior to being assigned to the 10th Armored Division as an Engineer officer, he served with the 7th Army. He saw action in North Africa, Italy and Europe. His decorations include the American Defense Medal, ETO Campaign Medal w/one bronze star, American Campaign Medal, WWII Victory Medal, and Occupation of Germany Medal.(early pattern). Other items of his grouping consists of his pinks & greens uniform. Next field uniform is a put-together of a 10th Mountain Division trooper. Uniform at extreme right will be discussed later. The shadow boxes above are individual groupings

The first couple posts looked like you were a "normal" collector with some nice stuff, this is outstanding, though. Feels about like riding a mechanical bull and they cranked the speed all the way up. Great collection, and great presentation.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

post-247-0-99627300-1389044193.jpgUniform, to include field jacket, belonging to Pfc Julian "Jay" S. Douthat, 11th Armored Battalion, 10th Armored Division. He entered active duty on 5 April 1943 as an aviation cadet. He was transfered to the Armored Corps in 1944. He saw action in the Rhineland, the Ardennes and Central Europe as a tank driver and machine gunner. He was transfered to the 378th Inf Regt., 95th Infantry Division where he served until the end of the war. He was discharged on 19 November 1945. He earned the Bronze Star Medal, Good Conduct Medal, ETO Campaign Medal w/3 bronze stars, American Campaign Medal, and WWII Victory Medal. In all my years of collecting, this is the first unit painted field jacket that I have owned. It has a painted, to exact detail, 10th Armored Div SSI, while the back shows the unit motto "Terrify and Destroy." Other items in his grouping consists of aditional uniform items.

The khaki shirt belonged to Cpl. John A. Ross, HQ Det., 2nd Bn., 3rd Regiment, First Special Service Force. He entered military service on 20 February 1943. He was briefly assigned to the 5th Army then to the FSSF. He participated in the beachhead invasions of Italy, and actions at Salerno, Cassino and Rome.

Note that the shadow box at top shows that T/Sgt. Charles D. Harper, 90th Inf. Div., earned the CIB as well as the EIB.

Hey Jack,

This is an incredible collection of choice items (and groupings), thanks for taking the time to post!

Will

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

VIETNAM - CAMOUFLAGE / SF / 'IN-COUNTRY' ITEMS.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

post-247-0-19875700-1389044793.jpgFor all you airborne enthusiasts, here is a quick peek at some of the items that will be shown in Vol 2 of Heroes In Our Midst. Specific biographic data will be included in the book. Left to right: 82nd Abn, 82nd Abn (he jumped in at Ste. Mere Eglise), 11th Abn (the helmet at his feet is a mint D-bail), 101st, and 101st. The latter jumped in at Normandy, and defended at the Battle of the Bulge. Just as a matter of interest, the latters son has over 5,000 jumps. I made my last jump (63rd) with him five years ago.

post-2-0-54717900-1389130269.jpg

Shadow box contains some of the personal effects of Paramarine Cpl. Ozzie Eggeson. He is covered in the Paramarine chapter found in Vol 1 of Heroes In Our Midst. Below the shadow box is his parachute qualification document. Immediately below that is a complete Paramarine uniform of yet another Pfc.

post-247-0-67865200-1389048543.jpgA few history makers. First full mannequin at left is Navy Cross recipient Lt.(j.g.) Vincent Smiley,. Air Group 94 (VT94), for single-handedly sinking a Japanese cruiser at anchor at Kure Navy Yard, Japan. He made a vertical dive, releasing his bombs making a direct hit on the stacks, causing it to immediately sink. His aircraft sustained a 5' gapping hole in his right wing, but he was able to make it back to the Lexington. He took exception when I said "single-handedly." I countered this by asking if any other members of his squadron had attacked the cruiser, or assisted him in his attack, and he responded "No, the others were busy with their own targets." In this grouping is his uniform, cased Navy Cross w/original citation, signed photo of the presentation of the NC, cased Air Medal w/gold star, and a few other personal items.

Standing immediately to his left is M/Sgt. Glen Wells, 1st Marine Wing. During WWII he served as a Radio/Gunner on a B-17 with the 8th AAF. His aircraft was shot down over France. He was able to elude capture, made it to Spain, then back to England where he returned to bombing missions. When the war ended, he took a month off, and enlisted in the USMC. He served in Korea during the war, earning three battle stars on his aircrew wings. He became the senior aircrewman on the personal aircraft of the Marine Corps Ciommandant. His rather extensive grouping consists of his blue uniform, green uniform, assorted other uniform items. His awards consists of the Air Medal w/three stars, Marine Good Conduct Medal, Army Good Conduct Medal, American Defense Medal, ETO Medal, American Campaign Medal, WWII Victory Medal, National Defense Medal, Korean Service Medal, UN Service Medal (Korea), AAF aircrew wings, Marine aircrew wings

post-247-0-94177300-1389049731.jpgThe Navy officer was killed in a mid-air collision flying a F4U in 1944. Shown are a few rifles/carbine. Note the white leather flag harness. To the viewer's right is the uniform of Cpl. R. E. Parker, 4th Marine Division.

post-247-0-61606000-1389053759.jpgWinter uniform belonging to Pfc. Zygmunt Chmielewski, Co. A, 1st Bn, 506th PIR, 101st Abn Div. He wears the 101st SSI on his right shoulder, and the 82nd on his left (unit he went home with at the end of the war.) The wool shirt at his left also belonged to him, and features iron-on 506th unit insignia as well as 101st patch on the left shoulder.

As you might determine, I still have a few signed/numbered copies of "Heroes In Our Midst" still available. This is your opportunity to lock in the same serial number for the entire series.

Beautiful display!!!! I especially like your Marine Corps one.

Always looking for WW2 USMC militaria and WW2 Corpsman militaria. If you have any you don't want or want to sell let me know, I might be interested.

donation2016.gif

I would like to thank all of you who have commented on my adventure into the 21st Century. As you can see, like any collector, mine has been a labor of love. Virtually all the material that you have seen has come directly from the Vet or his family. This has allowed me to put things in perspective, realizing that I don't collect "things," but rather preserve history. I can readily appreciate the effort that others like Johan and Robin have devoted to their collections.

My door is open should any of you wish to visit if your travels bring you to the Kansas City area. My time will always be your time.

Certainly more will follow. All that remains now is to figure out what you might like to see.

Happy New Year to all. Jack Angolia

Some great items to view there Jack....now for the more detailed shots of some of the uniforms/medals in your spectacular collection. I have been wanting to view this for some time now, glad you decided to take the plunge into the digital camera field. Amazing collection sir!

Always looking for 325th G.I.R. and WWII USMC items!
donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif