NATO Patches - Post Them Here

Garth Thompson

Salvage Sailor

For USN provenance, this is my Standing Naval Forces Atlantic (STANAVFORLANT) shield badge in use when I served aboard the squadron flagship. We had the Commodore (USN one star resurrected specifically for this posting) and his staff aboard our Destroyer Leader/Guided Missile Destroyer USS LUCE (DDG-38) and had participating vessels from England, the Netherlands, Belgium, (West) Germany, Canada, Norway & Portugal.

IMG_3675.JPG

IMG_3668.JPG

Rosyth 1979.jpg

Luce 2.jpg

STANAVFORLANT 1979 03.jpg

STANAVFORLANT 1979 02.jpg

• 1 year later...
Salvage Sailor

USS TATTNALL (DDG-19) NATO Standing Naval Forces (STANAVFORLANT) Flagship 1978

DDG 19 USS TATTNALL NATO 1978 001.jpg

DDG 19 USS TATTNALL NATO 1978 002.jpg

ACLANT - Allied Command Atlantic pocket badge. ACLANT was also referred to as SACLANT (Supreme Allied Commander Atlantic). I wore this pocket badge while in the Marine and working for the CINCLANT/SACLANT in 1975.

post-2843-0-30469600-1587146249_thumb.jpg

Proud Kraut

Hi Henrik,

yes, ARRC. I mentioned that the NORTHAG patch is questionable because the axe is facing to the wrong side.

Lars

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

Naval Control of Shipping Organization

The organization within the Navy that carries out the specific responsibilities of the Chief of Naval Operations to provide for the control and protection of movements of merchant ships in time of war. Also called NCSORG.  (NOTE: The “Naval Control of Shipping Organization” was changed to the “Naval Cooperation and Guidance of Shipping Organization,” in October 2003.) 

Department of the Navy Naval Control of Shipping Organization 001.jpg

Naval control of shipping is a wartime concept, officially defined by the US Department of Defense and by the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) as “the control exercised by naval authorities of movement, routing, reporting, convoy organization, and tactical diversion of allied merchant shipping.”  It does not include the employment or active protection of such shipping.   This concept is largely meaningless in peacetime, when the military has almost no capability of exercising “control” over commercial shipping.  The peacetime equivalent is known as Naval Cooperation and Guidance for Shipping (NCAGS).  The US Navy, in cooperation with the US Coast Guard and the Maritime Administration (MARAD), and allied forces assist the commercial maritime sector in identifying threats and taking steps to minimize risks presented by those threats.  

• 1 month later...
Salvage Sailor

STANDING NAVAL FORCES ATLANTIC (SNFL) 1990, Hounding the Commie subs in the North Atlantic at the end of the Cold War

USS STARK (FFG-31) with HSL-36 DET-6 Lamplighters aboard 

FFG_31_USS_STARK_SNFL_1991_HSL_36_001.jpg

• 2 years later...

Admiral William James Crowe Jr.  Commander-in-Chief, Allied Forces Southern Europe (CINCSOUTH) wears the Allied Forces Southern Europe Metal Badge on his cover in 1981.

south.PNG

south b.PNG

Salvage Sailor

Nice find Patches, how about a closeup of the PI made belt buckle the Admiral is wearing.

NATOALLIEDFORCESSOUTH(NAVAL)SwissTex001.jpg.1808c32c4e2e05162ec3b116c772fc74.jpg

Salvage Looks like it has his full name on the bottom, cant make out what's on top, central design appears to be the submariner badge right

buck.PNG

• 5 months later...

USAFE Warrior Preparation Center, based in Einsiedlerhof, near Ramstein Germany. A training center for U.S. and NATO JTACs.

WPC.jpg

Salvage Sailor
On 7/26/2018 at 2:53 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

Aloha Garth,

Not Army but.......There is also a USN version of this patch which I have somewhere around here. It has the same design but with a dark blue background.

These are some other USN NATO patches from my collection, some are from my time aboard a Standing Naval Forces flagship (STANAVFORLANT)

STANAVFORLANT 001.jpg

STANAVFORLANT

STANAVFORLANTBrochure001.png.984ea145d184d05f4d8a5f3d440bb3d4.pngSTANAVFORLANTBrochure005.png.6331e394cfd1bbe2126a109d022f673e.png

STANAVFORLANTBrochure002.png.76d4151aec5df9f77206df90b12ca628.png

STANAVFORLANTBrochure003.png.2b0f1832815ab6fcb2aaa1cd0c293db3.png

STANAVFORLANTBrochure004.png.346d17834b1173dbd2b6879fc38ad5ba.png

STANAVFORLANTBrochure006.png.1da419a758cddaa399a606924ed29cba.png

STANAVFORLANT001.jpg.78d9c0b771e5f4bc54be0c1fe65077cd.jpg