Interesting G.I. Bringback, French Flag

History Man

This was laying on a car's hood at the local flea market a week back and was drawn to it. Upon further inspection, I found it to be dated April 1944 and had an interesting construction, it is stitched together in panels and then sewn on the border. It is rather large, at least 8 ft x b ft...took a photo of it compared to one of my dogs (who is about 2 ft long). I asked the seller about any information they might have on it and they told me that it was purchased from a veteran's estate recently.

While not Axis, it is an interesting Allied piece...it is also dated pre-DDAY.

Were these French-made or....?

Philip

post-25965-0-42499000-1388723485.jpg

post-25965-0-92747500-1388723516.jpg

Garandomatic

I wondered the same thing. Seems to me the panels would maybe make it a bit stronger? Still a cool find, as that is a darned big signal flag, and it must have been on a darned big ship!

I have what I think is a WWI French flag. Odd material, very light, somewhat holy, and ridiculously faded.

Hmmm...I never thought about that. After thinking about it and looking it over, it does appear to be made of the same material as other naval flags I have handled. It is definitely a large flag, what type of ship would this have gone on?

Philip

Definitely not French. Wrong color sequence. If it were French, it would be (from L to R) blue, white, and red. Whatever the case, good piece.

14578007-drapeau-francais-flottant-dans-le-vent.jpg

I agree.The colors are reversed.

Looks like a T on the bunting edge in the photo and stenciling looks more of a US done thing.

Nice flag though.Great display piece

Hmmm...I never thought about that. After thinking about it and looking it over, it does appear to be made of the same material as other naval flags I have handled. It is definitely a large flag, what type of ship would this have gone on?

Philip

We had someone on here before who had some knowledge of the different sizes of flags assigned to the various sizes of ships. They were talking about the US flags, but I think the same would apply to vaarious sizes of signal flags as well. This info is probably buried somewhere on the internet.