17thairborne

Best Looking WW2 ETO Signs I've Seen

I wanted to pass on a great site: www.signsofwar.com I have always wanted to buy an original WW2 city/street sign from Belgium near the area where the 17th Airborne fought. , but could never bring myself to spend $750-$1500. WHile searching for original examples I came across Michael Miller's site and was astounded. I began working with him to create something for the war room based on this image:

houfalize%20crop.jpg

I acked Mick if he could prepare something like that without the bends, and perhaps with a little less wear, but close to the photo as possible. I sent him the image and here is what is waiting to be sent in the mail. I cannot wait to see it. I think it will look great in the 139th AEB display in my junque room. The unit passed through Houffalize during January 45.

Houff-5.jpg

Oz

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Wow, nice! I know what I'm adding to my displays now!

This crowd has gone deadly silent, a Cinderella story outta nowhere. Former greenskeeper and now about to become the masters champion....Carl Spackler

Mick is a great guy to work with. He sent several computer rough drafts before we decided on a final rendition. He matches the paint nicely, the bullet holes are either 8mm or .30 cal and the damage can be made to order. I can't wait to see it in real life.

Take a look at the examples on his site. I normally don't plug stores, but in this case I am happy to do so, because of the level of service and from the photos of the one I ordered, It looks great.

Oz

That is really nice looking. And a great idea!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Collecting WWII Armor and Tank Destroyer Items

Fantastic find, Oz! I've wanted to find someone who could produce a Bastogne/Belgium style sign in a more realistic style than the less-than-stellar results often found on Ebay. Thanks for the lead!

Jamie

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I'm sure you checked out the images on his site. He did a very faithful representation of the BASTOGNE sign with bullet holes. Can't wait for mine to show up. Should go in the mail on Monday. I'll post pics of it hanging in the room when it arrives.

Oz

I'm sure you checked out the images on his site. He did a very faithful representation of the BASTOGNE sign with bullet holes. Can't wait for mine to show up. Should go in the mail on Monday. I'll post pics of it hanging in the room when it arrives.

Yes I did - and it looked very faithful to the village sign famously held up by McAuliffe and now hanging in the museum in Bastogne. Placed my order today!

Jamie

Thanks Oz, and yes, I ordered the red and yellow version featured on his site. I've got a few ideas floating around for my eventual mannequin displays and I think this sign will fit in perfectly.

Jamie

Thank you Oz for posting this, its been a pleasure working with you on this project.

Thank you also to all the kind comments on this forum. Look forward to seeing the signs in their new homes.

Best wishes, Mick

Mick,

Good to see you on the forum. A lot of great folks here with superb info an just about everything militaria.

Oz

Oz

I might have to order a German one for the VARSITY display, perhaps Essen, or Mulheim, or maybe one of the smaller villages. A road sign would be nice too! How bout this:

Road_Sign.jpg

It pains me that the photo is damaged, but the subject matter is great and I can't bear not to show this one even in the condition.

Oz

My sign arrived yesterday. I was pleased with both the packaging and the speed in which it arrived. Mick does a superb job of ensuring that no damage occurs. It is packed initially with crush resistant padding followed by thick cardboard. Very nice. Here is the finished product in the 139th AEB Victory Room!

Thanks Mick :)

Sign4.JPG

Oz

Can you post some nice close up photos of yours. I would like to see the detail in the holes and rusty areas. Looks great!!!

This crowd has gone deadly silent, a Cinderella story outta nowhere. Former greenskeeper and now about to become the masters champion....Carl Spackler

Can you post some nice close up photos of yours. I would like to see the detail in the holes and rusty areas. Looks great!!!

Have you checked the first post in this topic?

f_poll.gif '29th,Let's Go!' f_poll.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Yes I did, and I'm thinking of ordering one myself

That detail is something elsel! Yours turned out very nice too! Thanks for posting.

Mike