Vietnam War era F Co LRRP plaque

I picked this up a while ago at the flea market. The beer can scroll, 2nd Field Force SSI with airborne tab had fallen off as the glue didn't hold. I glued them back on. The plate is inscribed, "PRESENTED TO BY THE OFFICERS AND MEN TO LT GERALD J. STRATTON FROM NOV 68 - FEB 69".

post-1389-0-25854300-1388682468.jpg

That's not easy to find.

Rare unit.

I know this is not the "what's it worth" section but why don't these plaques have more value ?

439th Signal Battalion

A sensational piece. Thank you for posting.

Company F, 51st Infantry has one of the best unit records of any LRRP outfit in Vietnam.

They were under the command of IIFFV, but were op-conned to the 199th Infantry Brigade for much of 1968. A team from the unit first detected elements of the 274th and 275th Viet Cong Main Force Regiments hustling towards Long Bien in the opening hours of the Tet Offensive.

Here is a link to a great book on the unit by Don Hall: http://www.i-served.com/index.html

Jeff Ashenfelter

I have a buddy who served in this unit in 1967 who is named a couple of times in Halls great book. I have one of his early books # 46 of # 500 which he signed. A little known unit with a great combat record. My pal still has all of his uniforms, camos, tigers and captured VC stuff from those days. It is a small world! Jeff

439th Signal Battalion

I have a buddy who served in this unit in 1967 who is named a couple of times in Halls great book. I have one of his early books # 46 of # 500 which he signed. A little known unit with a great combat record. My pal still has all of his uniforms, camos, tigers and captured VC stuff from those days. It is a small world! Jeff

It is a small world indeed.

Mr. Hall and his wife both signed my copy some years ago although I have no idea which one out of the 500 it is.

There is another great book on F/51st Infantry by Gary Douglas Ford entitled, "4/4: A LRP's Narrative."

I'm not one to ask about values but I've always been perplexed by the low value even rare Vietnam plaques have.

Am I wrong about this ?

River Patrol

Just too many fakes out there, they scare a lot of people away! Jeff

Fake Vietnam plaques?....I guess fakers will do just about anything but this seems odd to me.

For me, plaques are momentos and they're great when they come in groups but usually as a single item they don't seem to draw much interest, and I'm not sure why since you get "information" about the person, dates and their unit (& in this case, awards too). Certainly undervalued in today's market.

Fake Vietnam plaques?....I guess fakers will do just about anything but this seems odd to me.

For me, plaques are momentos and they're great when they come in groups but usually as a single item they don't seem to draw much interest, and I'm not sure why since you get "information" about the person, dates and their unit (& in this case, awards too). Certainly undervalued in today's market.

I agree and ad that they have really cool in country made insignia on them.

Jeff Ashenfelter

A few years back the fake plaques were all over it seemed, I know because I bought a few of them not knowing. I do not know who was making them but the ones that had were quite convincing!

• 2 weeks later...