M1 Helmet

ww2collector

ww2collector

First of all Happy 2014 everyone!!

A question, I am about to buy a helmet for my collection and would like your oppinion on this one.

I have done some research also on the forum and to me the shell looks good, the liner sweatband looks

a bit too new and also the chinstrap, but again this is not my collecting expertise.

Eric

post-9265-0-23233300-1388657816.jpg

post-9265-0-78112600-1388657834.jpg

It may just be the photos, but I am not a fan of the chinstrap and sweatband. As you stated, they look to new and fresh for the helmet....and on their own.

Philip

Actively Seeking:

WW2 USN/USMC Attributed/Named Purple Heart Groups

WW2 USN/USMC Combat Aviation Groups

WW2 and Prior USN/USMC Medal Groups

Contact me if you have something

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Hi Eric,

The shell is okay, late 1944 McCord production. Liner appears to be a nice late war liner which matches the shell perfectly. I agree on the sweatband probably not being original to the liner. Could it be Belgian? Close ups of the leather chin strap would be great. Late war straps tend to have brass hardware and the two rivets are often marked United Carr. Some buckle levers are patented as well.

All in all something I'd consider if you're looking for an American M1!

Cheers

donation2014.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

"The battle belonged that morning to the thin wet line of khaki that dragged itself ashore on the channel coast of France." - General Omar Bradley.

Screamingeagles101

I have a refurbished ww2 liner with a reproduction webbing, nape, sweatband etc. and your sweatband looks just like mine.

I guess it depends on how much they want for the helmet. I like the liner and shell. I agree the liner chin strap and headband are too new looking. I'd pay $50 to $75 dollars for it.

donation2013.gif

GOD Bless Texas And All That Serve Her

Any markings on the helmet or liner, could be a refurbished old liner, like the corking.

Burning Hazard

The leather liner chinstrap and sweatband both look like post-war Euro clones to me.... any markings?

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

ww2collector

I have no more pictures. I made an offer of 140 but the seller wants 180 euros so I will leave it.

Cheers,
Eric

SergeantMajorGray

Not worth over $175 in my opinion.

Grandson of Command Sergeant Major Max I Gray U.S Army

Also grandson of CWO-3 Arthur WillIam Seabury jr. USMC

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

It's a put-together IMHO. The interior of the shell is rusted but there isn't any comparable staining on the liner, which one would expect to see if the two had been together for ever. It's worth the sum of its parts...not the $245 price tag.

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif