Odd WW1 overseas hat in photo

blackhawkdown

blackhawkdown

Look at this photo, it almost looks like the fellow has the hat on backwards, but he appears serious and not joking. He is a DSC winner in 89th Division, I have his uniform.

post-2370-0-61689900-1388624505.jpg

There was a practice of wearing the M1907 winter cap backwards with the front visor folded up so that it resembled an overseas cap. I can only assume this was done by troops in the states or those overseas who had not yet been issued overseas caps. I have seen a surprising number of images that show this, but have not run across any written documentation.

blackhawkdown

Here is the mans DSC bio.

DUNCAN, JOHN C.

Corporal, U.S. Army

Company D, 354th Infantry Regiment, 89th Division, A.E.F.

Date of Action: November 1, 1918

Citation:

The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to John C. Duncan, Corporal, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in action near Remonville, France, November 1, 1918. In command of the leading group of his platoon, he encountered a machine-gun nest, containing six guns, about one hundred feet ahead of him. After opening fire on the enemy position, the automatic gunner and carrier of his group were shot. Corporal Duncan then took the automatic rifle and, running forward into the enemy fire shot and took prisoner the German machine-gun crews.

General Orders 87, W.D., 1919

Home Town: Whiteside, MO

Bonjour.

There was a practice of wearing the M1907 winter cap backwards with the front visor folded up so that it resembled an overseas cap. I can only assume this was done by troops in the states or those overseas who had not yet been issued overseas caps. I have seen a surprising number of images that show this, but have not run across any written documentation.

I've seen a photo showing the port of the cap that way. But where?

What does the M1907 winter cap look like?

Cap M.1907.

post-241-0-22102000-1388652117.jpg

post-241-0-02777200-1388652164.jpg

me too.

Here is one of the images I have found. It is the 367th Infantry receiving colors, presumably in the US before going overseas. Note the backwards M1907 caps.

post-943-0-65175000-1388677565.gif

blackhawkdown

Very interesting guys, in the last photo posted, the far right guys hats seems a match including the bulges over the ears.

I think it is an organized attempt for soldiers without overseas caps both overseas and in the states to look up-to-date with the latest item of clothing. I have seen too many images showing backwards M1907 Winter Caps for it to be just a coincidence.

-Backwards caps? I think that what we are seeing is the "Gangsta Rap" fad in its infancy. It's a little known fact that Scott Joplin was one of the pioneers in the Ragtime-Rap industry. They called him "Cool Daddy J."