Iron On excitement

topdcnut

Sigs,

My pic does not show it but my iron on is like the one you showed against the 85 iron on, I never saw the fat crow iron ons but I may have had so many of the direct transfer ones left that I never bought one. Also I bought the colored iron ons in 81, loved the color must have had one set of utilities left by that time, they are posted here somewere.

John

Honestly, I just never really noticed when they went to the fat crows. I think I may have seen one, but just tossed it off to some foreign made (PI) trash. I never noticed that I had some on my uniforms till I joined this forum and went and looked. As for the colored iron ons, cool. I just don't remember seeing them much by then. I never did the Utility thing. I got some in boot camp along with regular dungarees. I wore them as a non rate like coveralls and trashed them pretty quickly and did not replace them. On my dungaree jackets, when I made rate I wore regular crows with my crossed SM flags rather than the regulation plain crows.

• 1 year later...
Salvage Sailor

These could be trimmed to add on additional chevron to your dungarees

I did exactly that with this crow, trimming away a chevron to increase my rank from E-4 to E-5.

Found a good photo example of adding an iron on chevron to your dungarees. This is a shipmate of mine aboard USS LUCE (DDG-38) circa 1979 (when beards and mustaches were still 'traditional' in the USN)

Also a nice contrast photo of the detested utility uniforms vs. seafarer dungarees

added chevron.jpg