WASP float at the Rose Parade.

rustywings

That is really great! Much deserved honor for them.

Nice to be able to share their story with a larger audience so they can continue to inspire!

Thanks for sharing the photos! I would have loved to be there and meet them!

One of our forum members who has a nice WASP grouping has bleacher seats for the Rose Parade this morning and I'm farily certain he has no idea this float will be in the parade: I'm sure it'll be a great treat when this comes rolling down Colorado Blvd.

Thank you all for your shared thoughts and feelings...

The "Wingtip-to-Wingtip Association" produced this official logo for today's event.

IMG_4731_crop.jpg

I understand the television coverage of the WASP float was poor because of their position at the rear of the parade. Apparently those stations who televised the Tournament of Roses only allotted two hours of coverage, so details and images of the WASP's was shortchanged. However, nearly 800,000 spectators along the 5.5 mile parade route were incredibly responsive and gave the WASP's a warm and most responsive reception.

The 38 white stars adorning the side of the float represents the 38 WASP's killed during the war.

IMG_4646_crop.jpg

I watched two hours of the parade and finally near the end of that time came the float. Not nearly good enough TV coverage, it could have been better, but at least I got to see it. It was most impressive. I'm glad I first heard about this on this forum last night, or I would have missed seeing the finished float.

Flanking the sides of the float were women who represent the legacy of the WASP. They were:

Lt. Colonel Kimberly Scott, USAF C-17A and KC-135R Pilot and Alaska Airlines Pilot.

Captain Joellen Oslund, USNR Aviator and the fourth woman to earn Naval Aviator wings.

Captain Lucy Young, USNR Aviator and the fourteenth woman to earn Naval Aviator wings.

Commander Carol Skiber, USNR Aviator and Southwest Airlines Pilot.

Lt. Colonel Samantha Weeks, USAF F-15C Combat Pilot and Thunderbird Pilot.

Lt. Colonel Jennifer Cress, USAF Pilot, Operation(s) Southern Watch & Enduring Freedom.

Suzette McComas, Utah ANG and Southwest Airlines Pilot.

Patricia Beckman, USN (Retired).

Colonel Sandra Opeka, USAF (Retired).

Colonel Nancy Summer, USAF (Retired).

SmSgt. Gina Louis, USAF Reserves.

Wendy Cooper, USAF (Retired).

Captain Connie Tobias, U.S. Airways and American Airlines Pilot.

IMG_4670_crop.jpg

That's awesome Russ! Thanks for sharing. What a treat that must have been. I was lucky enough to meet roughly a dozen WASP pilots at the gathering of mustangs and legends air show in Ohio a few years back. A memory I will treasure for life.

NBC news did a great little story on them and this float this evening! It was nicely done.

JD

I wish I had seen the NBC story. Maybe the folks at the WASP museum in Sweetwater will post the coverage on their website.

Hey Jack's Son...and anyone else, please feel free to post anything remotely related to the WASP. I'd really like to see your pictures from today's parade.

I wish I had seen the NBC story. Maybe the folks at the WASP museum in Sweetwater will post the coverage on their website.

Hey Jack's Son...and anyone else, please feel free to post anything remotely related to the WASP. I'd really like to see your pictures from today's parade.

Go to the webb site for NBC news.You maybe able to access the story there.

I had the honor of working with the Vets at the dedication of the WW2 memorial, one of the most memorable periods of my life. Thank you for sharing. These women are still heros who broke truly set an example and the pride they shared is still evident in their faces.

A lot of history in two short years!

Russ,

Thank you so very much for adding more pictures. You are so right that they accomplished a lot in two short years. They paved the way for the women pilots of today.

...Kat