A Nice BYF 42 Luger Rig I Bought from a Vet

rambob

I just picked up this 42 byf luger, holster, two mags and the E/135 accepted loading tool. I know everyone says Buy the gun, not the story, but this story is compelling. Peter was a tank driver on an M10 tank killer towards the end of WWII and he says that he had the opportunity to accept the surrender of a number of German soldiers. He said this rig was handed over to him as is and has been together since then. The gun is a nice example of a 42 byf luger serial 2070d with some honest holster wear on the edges. Completely matching and correct even down to the nice E/135 accepted wooden grips. The barrel also has the 8.88 bore gauge marking on it for those keeping track. The pistol came with two identical, fxo, extruded mags with black plastic bottoms and each one is E/37 accepted in two places. The loading tool is E/135 accepted and is in primo condition. Lastly the brown holster is jhg 41 marked on the back and is WaA286 accepted. The only bummer is that someone cut part of the inside front edge of the holster away to make removing the pistol easier. Pete mentioned that this is how he received it, so I wonder if a German soldier may have cut the holster back to be able to grab the pistol without having to use the removal strap arrangement.

Bob

post-299-0-76208100-1388553986.jpg

Very nice!! I inherited one from my Grandfather with the holster, tool & 2 magazines. Yours is in much better condition!! I took it to the indoor range twice. They are well balanced & great to shoot.

Very nice!! Well done!

• 1 month later...

Very nice! Do you manage to get the War Dept authorization certificate (i.e., the "capture papers") with it? It's a shame someone altered the one magazine. I'd like to see some more close-up photos too, if possible.

• 4 weeks later...

Bill, I did not get the capture papers with it and I would suspect the magazine base was broken not altered. It is made of black plastic, is a bit fragile and easily broken.

blitzkrieg gsd

Very nice and your rite never buy the story buy the piece. But I with you I like a good story myself and yours sounds like it's the truth to so that makes it that much better.

hohenstaufen

I believe it was rather more common than we realize to bypass the pull strap and make a cut out for quicker removal of the pistol. I have owned P38, Luger and Radom holsters with the same modifications. A quick test on your own shows how slow the pull strap method is. Very nice rig.

Just for an FYI, here is the vet Pete wearing my tankers helmet and goggles from my collection. He looked right at home wearing it.

Bob

post-299-0-55477700-1395710429.jpg