USAF Patches....Theatre-Made, US-Made, Etc.

History Man

I found this lot earlier today and while I do not know much about USAF patches, they were priced where I could take a gamble on them. It seems like most are more modern but some look older, I am not sure though

Would appreciate any help in identifying the patches here, any information would be helpful.

Philip

post-25965-0-07828700-1388541758.jpg

post-25965-0-40906800-1388541779.jpg

The A-10 test team looks to be early 80's. 374th TAW is Philippine made 80's. 21st TAS looks Korean made 80's.AC-130H looks 80's/90's? The SKYHOOK's looks 70's?

A lot of currently used USAF patches are made overseas. Manufacturers can get better prices that way. It's been this way for a couple of decades at least, I understand that many if not most overseas units had their patches made overseas instead of here in the states. I'm told that getting unit patches, scarfs and ball caps made is done by the units themselves and not by a higher headquarters.

A lot of currently used USAF patches are made overseas. Manufacturers can get better prices that way. It's been this way for a couple of decades at least, I understand that many if not most overseas units had their patches made overseas instead of here in the states. I'm told that getting unit patches, scarfs and ball caps made is done by the units themselves and not by a higher headquarters.

That is true.When I was in the Philippines all the patches, even PACAF, were PI made.The 374th & 21st were at Clark and deployed to Korea a lot.I remember going to the shops off base and they had boxes of the different squadron patches.I think back now and wish I had bought them up.I'm sure just like guys that saw the same in Vietnam, Germany and any-other area the military was stationed.

Patchcollector

You have some nice patches there.I like the 6510th piece,I did'nt see it at the USAFPatches site,so it may be a scarce one.The Skyhook variations are the most interesting to me,I've never seen the green version.

The 21st TAS looks to be made in Japan to me.

Johnny Signor

The A-10 Test Team, is the first patch for when the A-10 first came out , a nice find , I also had one, the T-46 patch and medal insignia also nice, the AF tried this one out for a replacement for the older T-37 Tweets but decided on another aircraft , so it's a fairly rare couple of items too !