Cloth & bullion DI's and combat leader loops with DI's

Bill K

The green ones were for the combat leadership loops the Army came out w. ca. 1950. They replaced the combat leadership strips on uniforms during WW II. Some GIs had DIs added to them, otherwise, they were just plain ol' green cloth loops.

The green ones were for the combat leadership loops the Army came out w. ca. 1950. They replaced the combat leadership strips on uniforms during WW II. Some GIs had DIs added to them, otherwise, they were just plain ol' green cloth loops.

Right, but whats with the khaki? is that a Cav thing?

DUI's can be found embroidered on khaki, olive drab and Army Green loops to match whichever uniform on which they are worn.

Right atb, the one's on Khaki and OD were a fancier way of wearing the units DIs on the shoulder loops back then in the 50s, and would be worn by juinor Enlistedmen, NCOs and Officers in a Staff slot, the one's on the Dark Green were the true Leadership loops.

It seems this was a practice only for those units in Japan and South Korea and Germany in the 50s right? Have we seen any of these directly embroidered DI loops, Green Leadership or otherwise for units other than Japan/South Korea and or Germany? how about now that we're thinking, directly embroidered DIs on Army Green material? for the wear post 1958 on the new AG44 uniforms

We probably won't see DUIs embroidered to AG 44 loops. This uniform is Obsolete, replaced by the Army Service Uniform (dress blues).

OK in reality, that's what probably will happen. If someone thinks they can make a buck by producing DUIs on AG44 then we will see them.

Many times in the past unofficial insignia has been produced and never worn.

We probably won't see DUIs embroidered to AG 44 loops. This uniform is Obsolete, replaced by the Army Service Uniform (dress blues).

OK in reality, that's what probably will happen. If someone thinks they can make a buck by producing DUIs on AG44 then we will see them.

No No Hardstripe, I was talking about ones that might of been used in the early period of the AG44s, you know like the late 50s-early 60s, the period when the Army transitioned over to the new Class A.

Yes, I know that. But, they exist because the AG uniform had been worn since 1956 and they were made between then and the phase out of that uniform. Most, I think, were made overseas. The examples I have come from Korea and are for the 23d Infantry. They are slipped onto the shoulder loops of a 2d Infantry Division Army Green coat.

Yes, I know that. But, they exist because the AG uniform had been worn since 1956 and they were made between then and the phase out of that uniform. Most, I think, were made overseas. The examples I have come from Korea and are for the 23d Infantry. They are slipped onto the shoulder loops of a 2d Infantry Division Army Green coat.

So you have at home an example of the DI embrodered on a AG44 loop? Cool. It's interesting that it's a South Korean made 23rd Infantry AG44 loop, as by the time the 2nd Division was really wearing the new AG44 Class A uniform it was at Fort Benning. I wonder if the South Koreans had a cottage industry in making these for any unit Army Wide, both before and after the introdution of the new AG44 Class A? So too I wonder if the AG44 ones was as prevalent as the more seen Khaki and OD wool loops? Probably with these AG44 loops only for a short period in the late 50s into the early-mid 60s I would think.

So you have at home an example of the DI embrodered on a AG44 loop? Cool. It's interesting that it's a South Korean made 23rd Infantry AG44 loop, as by the time the 2nd Division was really wearing the new AG44 Class A uniform it was at Fort Benning. I wonder if the South Koreans had a cottage industry in making these for any unit Army Wide, both before and after the introdution of the new AG44 Class A? So too I wonder if the AG44 ones was as prevalent as the more seen Khaki and OD wool loops? Probably with these AG44 loops only for a short period in the late 50s into the early-mid 60s I would think.

It is from after the redesignation and reflagging in 1965 of the 1st Cav Div in Korea as the 2nd Inf Div.

You are correct about DUIs embroidered on AG 44 cloth from 1956-2013. I did not read Patches' comments correctly. The quickest way to find out I am wrong is to state something does not exist. Invariably one will show up to prove me wrong.

im not sure how much this can add to the issue of time period, but the full set (dark green) Chosin Battalion ones I posted were with a grouping of a ike and overseas cap. the DUI on the cap matched ones that I have from Japanese made late 40s, early 50s, and with the grouping also came the buccaneer skulls for nametags (not really definitive on time period) and the blue ascot with the Japanese made 7th ID patch in the center that can be currently found in captainofthe7ths collection. I was under the impression that due to how crude the nametag skulls were this might be early 50s. unfortunately I do not have the veterans name in order to try and verify exactly when these were made.

im not sure how much this can add to the issue of time period, but the full set (dark green) Chosin Battalion ones I posted were with a grouping of a ike and overseas cap. the DUI on the cap matched ones that I have from Japanese made late 40s, early 50s, and with the grouping also came the buccaneer skulls for nametags (not really definitive on time period) and the blue ascot with the Japanese made 7th ID patch in the center that can be currently found in captainofthe7ths collection. I was under the impression that due to how crude the nametag skulls were this might be early 50s. unfortunately I do not have the veterans name in order to try and verify exactly when these were made.

Can you post the link for this DI loops?

There a bunch of these on Green Leadership Loops on E-Bay, lots of them, I presume these are German, they wouldn't be phonies would they?

post-34986-0-51654300-1388692883.jpg

Here a whole group for differant units, ( there down towards the middle of the page ).There's more I seen too on E-Bay, like the 43rd Inf Div's 169th Infantry ( they were in Germany 1952-1954), the 26th Inf, the one for the 110th Inf will be from when the 28th Inf Div was there also during the Korean War. As we see these are stated as being 1960s, but all the units depicted would of been there in the 50s.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XGreen+Leadership+loops&_nkw=Green+Leadership+loops&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Hey Patches, heres the whole set. I didn't keep the ike or cap, but im trying to find the original grouping photos. but heres mine now. the closeup of the loops are on the first page of this post. for some reason the pictures are coming out funny, I had a problem with this since I got nailed with a auto update on IE. awesome.

post-105459-0-36664300-1388694088.jpg

Here a whole group for differant units, ( there down towards the middle of the page ).There's more I seen too on E-Bay, like the 43rd Inf Div's 169th Infantry ( they were in Germany 1952-1954), the 26th Inf, the one for the 110th Inf will be from when the 28th Inf Div was there also during the Korean War. As we see these are stated as being 1960s, but all the units depicted would of been there in the 50s.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XGreen+Leadership+loops&_nkw=Green+Leadership+loops&_sacat=0&_from=R40

ive seen these too, my guess is theyre a surplus of sorts that someone picked up, but with the material and all I would still think 60s, maybe later 50s in the hopes the units would rotate back?

Hey Patches, heres the whole set. I didn't keep the ike or cap, but im trying to find the original grouping photos. but heres mine now. the closeup of the loops are on the first page of this post. for some reason the pictures are coming out funny, I had a problem with this since I got nailed with a auto update on IE. awesome.

Ah yes the 32nd Inf Regt, 7th Inf Div, I was wondering what the Chosin Battalion was :D , good stuff, thank's Guido.