Need help. Reversible survival hat/cap?

USdog

Hello,

I recently bought a small grouping of a wwii veteran, whose plane had crashed in the Pacific. Included was his dog tags and this hat.... The person I bought it from got it directly from the vet in the 90's. He was told by the vet that the hat was issued in his life raft survival kit, and he wore it until he had been rescued.

Anyone know anything about this hat? Have you ever seen one?

Thanks...

These aren't my photos, don't have item in hand yet

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Hello,

I recently bought a small grouping of a wwii veteran, whose plane had crashed in the Pacific. Included was his dog tags and this hat.... The person I bought it from got it directly from the vet in the 90's. He was told by the vet that the hat was issued in his life raft survival kit, and he wore it until he had been rescued.

Anyone know anything about this hat? Have you ever seen one?

Thanks...

These aren't my photos, don't have item in hand yet

y9u7e5u3.jpga4ununa7.jpgysybemus.jpgy4uvupyz.jpg

I have a similar hat that is in an over the water survival kit from early VN war era. The hat I have is reversible, orange and yellow, used to signal aircraft of the pilot's location.

Leigh

First this in no standard article of AAF equipment but is similar to a Royal Air Force skull cap that was used in their life raft equipment but I am only aware of these in yellow and constructed completely different. When you get it look closely for stamps A.M. and/or with a royal crown etc.

The condition also rules out , for me, that this was used in the actual event noted by the veteran if indeed it was during the war. So question, was this vet still active post war? could his plane have went done after the war? The AAF was very active post VJ day in the Pacific with many aircraft requiring ASR activities.

You can also bank on anything being orange like this item as being post war. All articles for emergency rescue equipment during WWII were made in what was referred to as orange/yellow, yellow being the dominant color. by the close of WWII they were favoring this new orange color which wasn't applied to equipment until after the war. Some experimental pieces had the orange color 1944/1945, This piece certainly is not an experimental piece though. The standard head gear issued in rafts, over water kits and various other kits was the boonie style reversible sun hat green on one side yellow on the other, this hat was changed from yellow to orange in 1947/48. This cap here completely deviates from the objective of headgear development, it provides zero protection from the sun or any other elements which was the principle emphasis in design. British...maybe AAF ...NO post war ....YES and could be an implemented piece in US Air Force equipment in the 50's and 60's.....so more info is needed on the vet and his service.

I think Dustin has covered it pretty well. Maybe its some Australian kit or a baseball cap missing the visor? Some oddball unit issued item?

I think Dustin has covered it pretty well. Maybe its some Australian kit or a baseball cap missing the visor? Some oddball unit issued item?

Maybe.... Hopefully this can be solved. Hat is coming tomorrow, will post when it comes. Thanks...

Just got it in the mail today...

After examining it, I could not find any markings unfortunately, but defiantly looks to have been used (has many stains).

Please see pics...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image