USMC Trench Art-WW2

doyler

Wasnt sure where to post this.Dont know if there is a section for trench are or not.Mods please feel free to re-post in a better area.

I recently found this at a area antique shop.Dont often see this style of trench art for WW2 where the caseing is hammered/embossed like the WW1 era shell casings.This was a lamp at one time or made to be one.Looks like the previous owner polished it a bit prior to selling it.Im thinking it was diassembled to do the cleaning or to replace the cord and it never got restored.Anyway seeing it was USMC related and in memory of the Battle for Iwo Jima I decided to pick it up.

Across the top is FEB 19 1945.The main body of the caseing has IWO JIMA -5th Marine Div embossed on it.There are collar egas on the .50 cal rounds and a cap sized ega on the main projectile.

post-342-0-75660500-1388463731.jpg

post-342-0-23903900-1388463745.jpg

WOW!!!!

That is an awesome piece of art! So much detail work being done under asture (I assume) conditions!

Great stuff Ron!

WOW!!!!

That is an awesome piece of art! So much detail work being done under asture (I assume) conditions!

Great stuff Ron!

Thanks

Its a real unusual piece.Would be nice to know if it was made on ship or by a wounded Marine after leaving the Island.

I am no expert on trench art but one main clue leads me to believe this was done stateside after the war. Take a look at the markings on the fuse. I would highly doubt that a dummy round would exist in a combat zone. Too many chances for mistaking a real shell for a dummy when urgent artillery support was needed.

I am thinking one of the ordnance experts could tell us when the M50 round was used. That would also provide another clue...

I will say that it is definitely a cool piece, no matter when it was made.

Spectacular...theater made or stateside. Hard to find good USMC trenchart to display...I've searched myself for awhile. Great find

RustyCanteen

Amazing work! It really does look like the WWI decorative "trench art" shells.

How tall is the center shell? It almost looks like a 40mm case.

Very nice find!

RC

RustyCanteen

I am thinking one of the ordnance experts could tell us when the M50 round was used. That would also provide another clue...

I am no expert, but the "M50" you see is only the dummy fuze. I am not positive what the projectile is, but it may be a WWII era 37mm M55.

Amazing work! It really does look like the WWI decorative "trench art" shells.

How tall is the center shell? It almost looks like a 40mm case.

Very nice find!

RC

Rc

The casing measures approx 12 3/4 inches tall not including the projectile.

Got da Penny

I think that's the nicest piece of USMC trench art Ive ever seen. Great piece!

agrees. I would have tripped over myself

trying to buy this.

I am no expert, but the "M50" you see is only the dummy fuze. I am not positive what the projectile is, but it may be a WWII era 37mm M55.

I agree.Something made most likely made state side as a rememberance of service more so than during the batle.I wouldnt think the person who did this would have had the time or the materials to do this on the Island during the battle.

THe M50 family of fuze is what is used for a practice round(from what little I know).The copper rifeling band on the projectile is dated 1942

GREAT piece of trench art-- may have been made somewhere in the orient during the occupation era as a memorial piecce.

This type of work (deep punch out letters and design) is much more typical of the WW1 era.

I have seen some deep punch dragon lamps (inter- war years and WW2 era), so that is what makes me think orient vice a stateside piece. Also in the mid to late 1940s it would be unusual to find a stateside craftsman capable of doing this work.

Scott

• 5 years later...