Stalag Luft 1 Prisoner list?

Vincennes

I recently acquired a small archive of WW2 material belonging to Arthur M. Holter. He was the pilot of a B-24 (467th BG, 788th BS) shot down over Germany on Jan. 1, 1945 and he became a POW.

The National Archives POW records indicate he was a prisoner at Dulag Luft Grosstychow Dulag 12. I understand that this is a temporary processing camp and believe he was sent to Stalag Luft 1 after his processing. I believe this because one of the items I received in the archive is a newspaper clipping about Col. Harry Spicer who was a POW at Stalag Luft
1. On the edge of the clipping Holter wrote: "Col. Spicer - One of our commanding officers at PW Camp." So apparently Holter was at Stalag Luft 1.

While I was searching on the web I came across the web page at http://www.merkki.com/north3.htm which lists an Arthur Holter as a POW at Stalag Luft 1. I have emailed that web page operator twice to ask where he obtained his information, but I have not received a reply.

The only other list of Stalag Luft 1 prisoners I am aware of is the one published in the book "Behind Barbed Wire" back in 1946. It does NOT list Arthur M. Holter as a POW at that camp.

Does anyone know of another source for a prisoner list at Stalag Luft 1? Or where www.merkki.com got his information?

Paul

He was shot down VERY late in the war ( January 1945 ). Gross Tychow was the location of Stalag Luft 4 as well.

Stalag Luft 3 moved in January 1945, so I doubt he would have gone there. Most late war POWs I have researched went to Stalag Luft I.

Ann, the person who runs that website got information from the archives and also from POWs themselves concerning who has been in Stalag Luft 1. I have contributed photos to that website to use. It has been a long time since it has been updated.

Kurt