Pilot survival kit, 3 tours Vietnam

Mitch

Hi,

I got this survival kit from a local estate. He was a 3 tour in Vietnam pilot. It has 2 sealed pouches . One labeled Part I and the other Part II and the bag they came in. They are both dated 1963. Would these be part of a jet or bomber pilot or small plane etc. ? Thanks for looking.

Mitch

post-592-0-43912800-1388426874.jpg

Its a two part "Tupperware" survival kit that would have been issued to anyone flying an aircraft in the army or air force. The pouch is a part of a life preserver assembly. Its called a Tupperware kit by collectors because of the plastic slide apart containers.

I believe the pouch was from the MA 2 Life Preserver from the late 50s early 60s. It attached with a small piece of parachute cord below the pouch that held the bladder.

• 3 months later...
BlueBookGuy

Yes Survival you're right. MA-2 Life Preserver was a double- pack, "underarm"-type listed as still in use in very early '60s.

Precursor of the widely used LPU-2/P, this in turn the precursor of LPU-10/P (the two virtually identical). Differences with that very starter of this design, were the larger underarm packs in the MA-2 and its carrying of these pouches, one suspended from each pack.

Sometimes tied by using the typical Air Force issue nylon strings, greenish color, meant to be the laces for Anti-G garments (among others).

A very nice find!! Franco.

Hi Dale,

His name was

Eugene D. S t a m m e r, Sr. He did 13 years in the USAF with 3 tours in Vietnam. Retired in the reserves as a Major. Flew 25 years for TWA I believe.

Thanks Franco for the comment.

Regards, Mitch