Vintage Flight Instructor's cuff wing...or not?

rustywings

This is a recent purchase. I believe it might be a pre-WWII Army Air Corps Flight Instructor's cuff wing, but I've never seen one with such ornate feathering and detail. It is 2.25 inches in width. There is no hallmark or precious metal mark on the back. It displays a nice early "C" catch on the reverse and appears to be of vintage inter-war design, but I have nothing to compare it to. Any ideas? I appreciate your feedback.

Russ

IMG_4627_crop.jpg

Russ interesting find. I like the construction which suggests to me to be from the time frame you considering. Now when looking with a critical eye at this it would would appear to me that the wing would not be practical. I think the location it would be worn it would catch on things if used on a duty uniform. I guess on the other hand if it were on a dress uniform that might work.

Cheers

John

Beautiful wing Russ. Like John, not sure it is for military use, as these type of things were also popular as women jewelry.

Still, I wouldn't have any problem seeing them for use on a uniform either. I like them, no matter what!

Again, WPAFB, why don't you provide your name and some real information other than a statement of "fact"--mabye a picture or catalog or something? I don't know why anyone would assume you know what you are talking about otherwise, especially since we don't even know who you are--or do we? Just wondering.

Patrick

Cool looking wings! As a newby, I hadn't seen them before & I appreciate your posting all the examples! Running off the the wings web site to look at others.

Thanks again!

Greg

Made by Eastern Findings, New York, NY

As a jewelry item, non-military.

Please elaborate i.e. do you have an old catalog with this item or?

Thanks

A simple 30 sec internet search will show you that Eastern Findings of New York is still in business and has been so for approximately 70 years. While that is a long time, it still places them as a post-WWII jewelry store.

While possilbe that the pin in question dates from the mid-50's, my best guess is that this is in fact a 20's or 30's piece of jewelry, which would make it impossible for Eastern Findings to have been the manufacturer.

But I suspect that Russ has already looked into this.

Patrick,

There is nothing wrong with someone posting a response to a thread using an alias provided of course he is a legitimately registered member. . . rather than an unauthorized interloper :dry:; therefore, what harm was done by simply asking?

Oh, and no matter the original source, thank you for listing the website for Eastern Findings Corp. I've always thought you were a great detective.

Cliff

I don't think they are the same unless #490 is a copy of what Russ posted... the one Russ posed is much more detailed and if you look at the very center they are different. Maybe I am beating a dead horse here..?

Hmm, I'm not sure what you're seeing because I took Russ' picture and the catalog picture and put them side by side in Photoshop and the two items are virtually identical. Sure there's more detail in Russ' photo of the actual badge but any differences between the two are minimal at best. The catalog picture is very small so the fine detail you can see in Russ' larger picture are much more difficult to discern but the overall pattern of the badge is dead on IMHO.

Hello Gents,

I apologize for my slow response. I spent the day in Pasadena enjoying the company of 16 original WASP members and their families as final preparations were made for their float entry in tomorrow's Rose Parade. (For those interested, I'll post images and descriptions of the WASP's and their float elsewhere on the Forum.)

Let me start by thanking you all for sharing your ideas and insights. Joe, I'm not sure if you're officially out of the Forum's penalty-box, so, if you want, I can address you as Joe, Paul, Mr. Mac, WRAFB, hallmark W32, or any other alias you prefer. Regardless, you indeed helped me by pointing the way towards the "Eastern Findings Company" in my effort to confirm the origins of this little winged badge.

I spoke with a representative of the Company yesterday who couldn't offer any information on my smaller 2.25 inch badge, but did confirm catalog item #490 was a larger, full-size variation...similar in size to the cast badge you offer on ebay and your website.

Not a reproduction, because I don't believe such a pilot wing actually existed in WWI. More of a fantasy piece using the same design as found in the "Eastern Findings" catalog. (See ebay #370971820623 and #191016156998.)

Again, thank you all for your help.

Russ

$_578.jpg

I have a pair of these as well. There is an oblong stone mounted in the center. They are purely decorative jewelry made in the 40's. Pony.

One of a few favorites - Made in the USA, post-1940.

Cliff

Very nice Cliff! The bullion is in pristine shape.

I have a pair of these as well. There is an oblong stone mounted in the center. They are purely decorative jewelry made in the 40's. Pony.

Hello Pony,

Are you referring to this sweetheart style? Similar in texture and feathering, but a different in design...

$(KGrHqZ,!oIFCp5e)sMqBQ-hG+jQmg~~60_31_crop.jpg