Need help identifying foreign made copy of Colt 1911

509PIB

Need some expertise here. Is anyone familiar with these marks on a what looks to be a foreign copy of the Colt 1911? They appear to be the only marks on the gun, the woman selling it said her late husband claimed it was Chinese made, something about the Korean war - but she wasn’t sure. I’m not familiar with foreign made 1911s but those characteristics don’t look Chinese to me. Wood grips, course checking on the trigger and a lot rougher finish than Remington and Colt 1911s I own. Anything you can tell me would be appreciated not sure how long its going to be available.

19111_zps28e77ed3.jpg19113_zpsf2495bf0.jpg19112_zps4d7712fd.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully someone has seen it before. It's not as crude as some of the Viet Cong made .45s I've seen pics of and its more complete.

Thanks, I just did a search of Burmese and Indian characters that Skio suggested and I can see some similarities with those, but only for a couple of characters. In researching I found China assembled lots parts pistols from US supplied WWII stocks, and also started manufacturing their own replacement parts, but the author of that article said while he figured they wouldn't hesitate to copy weapons they liked, he'd never seen one. Appreciate the help so far.

Pakistan is also a possible source. Also be aware that during the Korean War, Captured US M1911/M1911-

a1s s were marked and re-numbered by the Chinese, after the US markings were removed, though this one looks more like an Asiatic copy than a remarked US one.

Right, there is no evidence of US Markings or serial numbers being removed. I've never seen a pistol with so few markings. Mag is unmarked also.

There it is, thanks Kwill, knew someone would nail it. Did any of these make it to Vietnam from the communist side? Any idea what No 54 means? Year made? I'm guessing this was either brought back from Korea or Vietnam.

Kwill, thanks for sharing the knowledge. I missed two US made .45s she had already sold, but couldn't pass this odd ball up, so I bought it. I guess the buyers of those weren't interested in the knock-off. I searched online after you identified it and one firearms guide mentioned the Pusan Jin Iron Works and that they sometimes used US barrels (I'll break it down this afternoon and take a look) that had better rifling then most of the foreign 1911-A1s do and he felt they were one of the better made Asian copies of the 1911-A1.

Looking at the barrel, it is well rifled and is US issue - marked with a "P" and "HS" for High Standard, so the Koreans, as the article stated, used USGI barrels from existing parts stocks.

Took off the grips and there was the name of the marine or soldier who acquired the gun and the date he arrived in Korea; September 19. Looking it up, that was the last day of the Battle of Inchon, Gen. McArthur’s surprise amphibious landings by Marines to flank the North Koreans and recapture the South Korean capitol of Seoul. So C.W. Bailey either served in the 5th Marines and landed that day or arrived to bolster the 8th Army defending the Pusan Perimeter (where this .45 was made). I'm guessing this was captured by a North Korean soldier in their march to Seoul, then by Bailey off the North Korean as the ran them back up towards the Chosen Reservoir. Really glad I didn't miss the opportunity to get this one!

Gripsengraved_zps56489e1c.jpg

Wow, I never would have guessed it was Korean made. It is a work of art compared to the VC made one I used to own.

This is a great find, really nice and of decent quality. Nice bringback from a conflict where bringbacks are fairly scarce.

The VC jungle made pistols varied all over the place in terms of quality. I own a fairly crude one, 101st Abn bringback. Here's a link to one that looks to have been a quality made one: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=375044917

Thanks, that's a sweet piece on Gunbroker, I'm guessing the vet had it plated. Those capture and export papers are great with it. I have a Tokarev with the 1967 Capture papers of a Captain in an Assault Helicopter Company that I bought in a Florida gun shop in 1973 for $45 when I was home from college. That cut in on my beer money and I almost didn't buy it with my hard earned sod laying money, but glad I did.

Thanks, that's a sweet piece on Gunbroker, I'm guessing the vet had it plated. Those capture and export papers are great with it. I have a Tokarev with the 1967 Capture papers of a Captain in an Assault Helicopter Company that I bought in a Florida gun shop in 1973 for $45 when I was home from college. That cut in on my beer money and I almost didn't buy it with my hard earned sod laying money, but glad I did.

Wow! Even in 1973 $45 was a sweet deal - the incountry price at that time was considerably higher. I'm glad that you've been able to hang on to it.