Letter: Civil War Chaplain running for GAR Office

I picked up a small collection of paper items from the estate of Mrs. Bessie Stebbins who was the widow of Civil War veteran Warren O Hawley.

The papers include a letter to Warren from Joseph H Thayer written in 1891 asking for Hawley's support in an upcoming GAR convention election (see below).

Other items include a printed card for a delegate to the 32nd. Annual Encampment of the Massachusetts GAR (1898 I think), 5 calling cards from other GAR members in IL and Mass., and 3 letters with envelopes to Ms. Stebbins dated 1940 from her congressman Allen Treadway (Mass.) helping her through the process of applying for a death pension.

Warren O Hawley (1837?-1940?) was a Civil War veteran who served in the 89th. IL Inf as a Sgt., he served from 8/25/1862 until 6/10/1865.

Joseph H Thayer (1828-1901) was the Chaplain for the 40th Mass. Infantry for a short time in 1862-63. He was also a Biblical Scholar of some note with a Wikipedia Page all to himself.

What are the initials in the closing? I read them as F.C.V.L. Is that correct? What do they stand for?

Paul

post-2319-0-99501300-1388365304.jpg

It actually says "F.C. & L", which is the abbreviation for the Grand Army of the Republic's motto - Fraternity, Charity, & Loyalty.

Nice item!

In memory of Lance Corporal Jeremy S. Lasher, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force. Killed in Action July 23, 2009, Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Semper Fi

Lance Corporal's 2/8 challenge coin was STOLEN from his grave. Please see the following forum link for details: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/210650-challenge-coin-stolen-from-marine-kia-grave/&do=findComment&comment=1654270

My eBay Auctions: http://shop.ebay.com...s/m.html?_dmd=1

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif