A WW2 era Unknown unit Bugs Bunny patch

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Hi all,
I received my Bugs Bunny "Commo" patch,so I thought that I would post some scans of it.
I still have not been able to ID the unit that the patch represents,however while doing some research I was
able to nail down a time frame for it's use,and I was pleased to discover that it is indeed a WW2 era piece!
I had suspected this,due to several factors,such as the size and construction of the patch.Also,I knew that Bugs Bunny was very popular during WW2.
So these factors led me to believe that the patch was a WW2 era piece,but I had nothing definitive to base my assumption on;until I received it..
While studying the small print at the bottom of the patch,I at first thought that the tiny letters spelled "Looney Tunes"

but it just didn't look right.Under magnification and a bright light,I was able to make out this: © Leon Schlesinger.

So I went online and did some research and came up with the following info:

The Warner animation division was founded in 1933 as Leon Schlesinger Studios, an independent company which produced the popular Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies animated short subjects for release by Warner Bros. Pictures. In 1944, Schlesinger sold the studio to Warner Bros., who continued to operate it as Warner Bros. Cartoons, Inc. until 1963. Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies were briefly subcontracted to Freleng's DePatie-Freleng Enterprises studio from 1964 until 1967. The Warner Bros. Cartoons studio briefly re-opened in 1967 before shutting its doors for good two years later.
A successor company, Warner Bros. Animation, was established in 1980.That company continues to produce Looney Tunes related works, in addition to television shows and feature films centering around other properties.
Leon Schlesinger Studios held the copyright to Bugs Bunny only from 1933 to 1944.

So,armed with these newly found facts,I feel confident in stating that this is a WW2 era piece.
Now that that part of the puzzle has been solved,I need to find out the ID of the unit,or school that the patch represents.

post-13386-0-72394300-1388364036.jpg

This same patch was addressed in the last week or so and identified. Unfortunately I can't remember the ID, and my search-fu is weak. So...good luck!

Patchcollector

This same patch was addressed in the last week or so and identified. Unfortunately I can't remember the ID, and my search-fu is weak. So...good luck!

If you are referring to this thread which is one I started earlier,then this was never conclusively ID'd,so I'm still looking for a positive ID on this piece:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/196331-an-unknown-bugs-bunny-patch-for-id/

Patchcollector

Having done some more research on this piece,I'm beginning to lean towards an ID of a Radio Operators school insignia. I've found a few references to the "IMI" being used by the military,and another reference to a high speed Morse Code telegraph key being called a "Bug".I will post these references that I found online that are excerpts from a book called "Flying American Combat Aircraft of WW2" by Robin Higham (Editor) , Abigail T. Siddall (Editor) , and Carol Williams (Editor).

The excerpt I am posting is a recollection from a B-18 pilot that was flying in the Pre-war years,1940-41,so that,along with the Leon Schlesinger copyright,which began in the 30's suggests to me that there is a chance that this may be a pre-war piece!

post-13386-0-91289500-1388628617.png

Johnny Signor

Yeah , looks like you're onto something with the IMI finding , hope you can get more indepth info , good luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the info you posted.

I must agree with Johnny it sure looks like you have hit pay dirt.

Hope you can match something with the motto at the bottom of the patch.

Also over the years Bugs Bunny's look has changed.

This image of him does have an earlier look.

The wording on the bottom is a copyright.If you can make out who owned the copyright you might be able to pin point a date.

You didn't read post #1, did you? hehehehehe.......

-Ski

You didn't read post #1, did you? hehehehehe.......

-Ski

Ski I didn't.Only because I commented on the patch the first time, my bad.I just checked out the new comments. :blush:

• 7 years later...