USN COMMAND and FLEET patches

topdcnut

Salvage Sailor

Adhering to USN policy, odd numbered Fleets were situated on the Port (West) coast and even numbered Fleets on the Starboard (East) coast

FIRST FLEET - Western Pacific regions 1946 to 1973 3 star flag rank

FIRST FLEET 001.jpg

FIRST FLEET 002.jpg

Salvage Sailor

After the Vietnam drawdown (1973) First Fleet morphed and the US THIRD FLEET

was reestablished in Hawaii to control the west coast and middle Pacific regions

3 star flag rank

THIRD FLEET 001.jpg

THIRD FLEET 002.jpg

Salvage Sailor

....from the North and South American coasts to the European and African continents

Second Fleet was disestablished in 2011 and is now part of Fleet Forces Command (shown earlier)

SECOND FLEET 002.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Reaching into the Mediterranean Sea was the responsibility of the SIXTH FLEET

based in Italy. Another 3 star flag rank, it also had the Middle East under it's wings.

SIXTH FLEET 001.jpg

SIXTH FLEET 002.jpg

Commander Naval Surface Force - Atlantic Fleet

The old and the new.....

Technically, those are the "old" and the "old"...when I worked on the admiral's staff from 2010 to 2011, he went on a purge to get rid of every emblem that said "US ATLANTIC FLEET" on it. He had almost some sacred determination about it. I went downstairs to talk to the flag cook one day and he was boxing up all our old flag mess mugs. I asked him why he was and it was because the admiral wouldn't allow them to be used anymore because of the emblem so he was ordered to throw them out. Needless to say, five years later, I still drink coffee almost every day out of them. ;)

Salvage Sailor

During the 60's and 70's this was considered isolated duty aboard the USS LASALLE (AGF-3)

The Great White Ghost of the Arabian Coast. This was a little game played with the Middle East nations,

we were afloat, so we weren't really present on their precious lands.

COMIDEASTFOR 003 LASALLE.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Technically, those are the "old" and the "old"...when I worked on the admiral's staff from 2010 to 2011, he went on a purge to get rid of every emblem that said "US ATLANTIC FLEET" on it. He had almost some sacred determination about it. I went downstairs to talk to the flag cook one day and he was boxing up all our old flag mess mugs. I asked him why he was and it was because the admiral wouldn't allow them to be used anymore because of the emblem so he was ordered to throw them out. Needless to say, five years later, I still drink coffee almost every day out of them. ;)

Having also served on a command staff, I hear you Dave....not much changes and the closer one gets to Washington, the deeper the ......

Salvage Sailor

LASALLE was later redesignated from LPD-3 to AGF-3. One of the empty threats our chiefs would toss out was reassigning us to either the La Salle or Diego Garcia when we would mess up

AGF 3 LPD 3 USS LASALLE 001a.jpg

AGF 3 LPD 3 USS LASALLE 002a.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Another Flagship of the Middle East Force was the CORONADO (AGF-11) previously (LPD-11)

The Ivory Beast of the Middle East - She was also painted white to lessen the effects of the Arabian sun

AGF 11 LPD 11 USS CORONADO 001A.jpg

AGF 11 LPD 11 USS CORONADO 002.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Plus the joint commands, COMSTANAVFORLANT (SNFL) or 'sniffle',

STRIKE FLEET ATLANTIC and CINCWESTLANT

These were headed by provisional Comodores, a rarely used one star USN rank rather than Rear Admirals

STANAVFORLANT 001a.jpg

STANAVFORLANT 002a.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Pacific Fleet Naval Air Force

Hawaii (First/Third Fleet) and Westpac (Seventh Fleet)

I'm sure there are more I've overlooked, so please add yours to the thread

PACIFIC FLEET AIR 001.jpg

PACIFIC FLEET AIR 002.jpg