WW2 Type A-6 or A-7 Aerial Delivery Harness

Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

Looking for more info on this harness also shown in the GICG as an A-7 but looking in the WW2 manual seems to be an A-6...

What is it exactly? What kind of supplies was it used with?

Any pictures of it in use?

If it helps this came from a former Market Garden dropzone...

Thanks!

post-92-0-82384600-1388316711.jpg

post-92-0-21224200-1388316719.jpg

Johan Willaert

Reading this explains a bit, but are the A-6 and A-7 the same size???

http://www.qmmuseum.lee.army.mil/WWII/aerial_supplies.htm

Type A-6 container is a canvas cover fitted over a 12"x 12"x 30" corrugated fiber carton. A shock-absorbing pad is attached to the bottom. The unit is used for dropping rations or three plastic water containers of five-gallon capacity, which fit into the fiber carton. The water containers may, of course, be used for dropping other liquids such as milk or medicine.

Container Type A-7 is an adjustable webbing sling designed to carry a standard ammunition box. It can be adapted to carry other equipment or supplies such as three standard five-gallon Quartermaster water cans

Just my own interpretation of what you posted, but perhaps one of the differences is in the adjustability of the A-7 vs the fixed size of the A-6?

Johan Willaert

Just my own interpretation of what you posted, but perhaps one of the differences is in the adjustability of the A-7 vs the fixed size of the A-6?

Could be... I'm thinking the A6 has a harness stitched to an inner bag, while the A7 is just a loose harness...

Hi Johan,

Not sure if you've already seen it, but there's a good description of both the A-6 and A-7 in FM 31-30: Tactics and Technique of Air-Borne Troops.

Here's what it has to say:

Type A-6:

a. The delivery unit, type A-6, consists of a box type container, a 24-foot circular cotton canopy, and a conventional "pull off" pack assembly.

b. The container consists of two parts: a rectangular duck bag with suitable suspension harness of webbing; and an inner, replaceable, commercial corrugated fiber box, 12 by 12 x 30 inches.

c. The canopy and pack are of the types used with the the delivery unit, type A-5.

Type A-7:

a. The delivery unit, type A-7, consists of a harness sling, a 24-foot circular cotton canopy and a conventional "pull off" pack assembly.

b. The harness is constructed of cotton webbing to fit boxed small ammunition and 37-mm ammunition. It has 2 V-rings for attaching the risers of the canopy.

c. The canopy and pack are of the types used with the delivery unit, type A-5.

The manual also provides illustrations of each, for example:

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

I think the one that you've posted is indeed the A-7.

Hope that helps,

Ben.

Johan Willaert

Thanks Ben... That helps...

Meanwhile I found this picture in John Andrews AB Album Normandy...

I believe that would be an A7 on the left...

post-92-0-18884900-1388926384.jpg

Looking at the layout, I think it's probably the A-6. If you look at the illustration of same from FM 31-30, you can see the extra strap, with tape for securing the pack.

Regards,

Ben.

Johan Willaert

Just found a picture of an A6 in MDT's Doc McIlvoy book, page 40

Also seen on the WW2 picture of an Medical Section during training in England, page 38

Johan Willaert

Looking at the layout, I think it's probably the A-6. If you look at the illustration of same from FM 31-30, you can see the extra strap, with tape for securing the pack.

Regards,

Ben.

Indeed, but should be clear now...