Stuck roller on 1926 USMC right collar Service EGA

Spearhead

I'm looking for some guidance on how to return a right collar EGA device to full function. The brass roller is struck. It does not appear to be cross-threaded. The EGA device appears to be some sort of bronze metal. There's a slight blue/greenish staining on roller where roller mates with threaded stud from EGA.

Any recommendations on getting this unstuck without degrading the EGA device? Can I use WD-40 or bike chain lubricate?

Appreciate any assistance. I'm guessing someone else has faced this same issue.

J.R.

Yeah a drop of WD-40 and let it sit for a while and work its magic. Once free I would clean the threads on the post with more WD and a toothbrush. And if you can brush the hole in the nut as best you can. Maybe a bit of paraffin wax on the post threads will keep it from becoming stuck again. Just rub in on and twist the nut off and on a few times to get it lubed up. I've done this on a collar disk or two and haven't had any issues. I'm am also assuming that this isn't going on a uniform, correct?

Mike

WD40 could work, let it sit a bit then use a pair of needle nose pliars on the post, the EGA should be easy enough to hold onto with your other hand...the rollers aren't particularly hard to obtain, once removed I'd just replace it, clean the post well. I use toothpicks and stiff bristle brushes on my posts that get this oxidation. Toothpicks are hard enough to get in the crevices but soft enough to have no effect on the brass itself.

I tried the WD40, but didn't have much success. After application and some time, the CLP did the trick .

Thanks for the sound advice by all.

J.R.

I tried the WD40, but didn't have much success. After application and some time, the CLP did the trick .

Thanks for the sound advice by all.

J.R.

Despite what many "garage bubbas" think, WD-40 IS NOT a penetrating oil.

It will not break or dissolve rust and it will not free stuck bolts.

It's a Water Displacer... hence the "WD". It was originally invented to spray on the outside of space shuttle fuel cells to keep them dry.

For a penetrating oil nothing can beat Kano-Kroil IMO.

Just for future reference on the WD. Although one thing it's good for is removing brake pad dust off aluminum wheels with a plastic dish scrubbie! (trademarked trick) :)

-Brian