A USMC M1917 Knuckle Knife

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

Guys:

The Model 1917 knife is usually thought of as an Army blade. Thus, when I ran across this photo I thought it was pretty interesting. This pic shows a Marine at Iwo Jima. His name and unit are unknown to me but the stencil on his helmet cover seems to say "Martini". I figure that is either his name or his favorite drink.

Thought you guys would like to see this one.

Regards,

Charlie

USMCM1917knifeatIwoJima.jpg

It appears to be an "LF&C", M1917. I really can't recall seeing any M1917s in WW2 pics. I'm sure they existed. Interesting!! SKIP

Could be a family heirloom or some sort of private purchase, as the knife was obsoleted in the late 1920s and presumably disposed of. I have no record that any were still on hand in 1941 although it is of course possible or even likely that some remained in storage.

I have to agree that I don't recall seeing one of these knives in a WW2 photo before. They were pretty much useless except for stabbing and I wouldn't think that most soldiers would consider them very useful compared to the broad range of sheath knives that were available.

Just as a side note, and a question that has puzzled collectors for years, is the difference between the Model 1917 and the Model 1918 (not the Model 1918 Mark 1!). Apparently the Model 1918 was much less common as the United States Army Edged Weapons Report, 1917 thru 1945 stated that on hand in 1922 were 121,000 Trench Knife, M1917, 3,900 Trench Knife, M1918 and 139,000 Trench Knife, M1918, Mk 1. If these numbers were correct, the M1918 was apparently made in very small quantities.

That picture is ridiculously cool. When I was 13 or so, I bought a WWI jacket from the local antique store, and in the same case was one of these, which variant I do not recall. Sucker filled my teenage imagination. I managed to pick one up on the forum here about a year ago, 20 years late, but better than never! Useless for most anything besides killin'. I can see why it wasn't continued for that reason, but that reason sure makes it a bada** part of the collection.

Thats a pretty well know photo from Iwo.

There is a Sgt Rinaldo Martini who served in the 5th Division as a section leader for a machinegun squad.He was awarded the Silver Star on Iwo.

I don't imagine there were too many German soldiers in WW1 that thought the were obsolete and useless if they had to face one. I bought my first, an OCL, w/scabbard in 1972 at a pawn shop in Fayetteville for a whole $10. True bargain. Still have it. SKIP

Greetings all,

As a child, I remember seeing a Frank Sinatra movie Never So Few and in that film he’s wearing a L. F. & C. M1918 (not an M1917 or an M1918 Mk. I). The movie came out in 1959, but I had not seen the film until the late 70s. I always thought it was odd he was wearing that particular type of knife (circled in the lower photo) as there were so many other more useful designs available in time for WWII. I'm not suggesting the M1918 is not a fully capable and deadly weapon, just not that handy for other more common field craft tasks.

Seeing the Charlie’s USMC picture makes me realize perhaps their continued use in WWII was not just another “Hollywood” fantasy. Thank you Charlie, for posting your picture.

Regards,

Lance

post-31352-0-11037100-1388289738.jpg

And thank you, militariaone, for making it possible for me to add one to my collection!

By the way, being a Rat Pack fan, as well as a Steve McQueen fan, I love that movie... the scene where McQueen takes care of the prisoners, well, Steve was convincing enough to make you believe he enjoyed the task.

And thank you, militariaone, for making it possible for me to add one to my collection!

By the way, being a Rat Pack fan, as well as a Steve McQueen fan, I love that movie... the scene where McQueen takes care of the prisoners, well, Steve was convincing enough to make you believe he enjoyed the task.

Happy to have assisted the addiction and Steve McQueen is AWESOME!!!

Regards,

Lance

Great picture, first WW II combat photo I have seen.

I don't know how I missed this Sinatra McQueen movie, I thought I had seen them all, Sand Pebbles again recently in HD, but I missed this one. Didn't know Sinatra and McQueen were ever in a movie together, fingers crossed for netflix having it.

Still-A-Marine

Guys:

The Model 1917 knife is usually thought of as an Army blade. Thus, when I ran across this photo I thought it was pretty interesting. This pic shows a Marine at Iwo Jima. His name and unit are unknown to me but the stencil on his helmet cover seems to say "Martini". I figure that is either his name or his favorite drink.

Thought you guys would like to see this one.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks for sharing this Charlie. Very interesting.

Bill

Cool photo thanks for posting.

Does that e-tool handle look cut down?

tthen,

Your question about the shovel got me thinking that the handle was indeed shorter, so I took my shovel and compared it to the length of my garand. The total length of my shovel handle is the same length as from the muzzle of the garand to the end of the forearm. So, using a ruler to compare lengths on the computer screen, it appears that the e-tool handle length is similar and thus correct. However, the cover itself looks a little big, making the handle appear small. Hey, I know this is an edged weapon forum, but shovels have been used as edged weapons on occasion!

Marv

Speaking of movies if no one minds "Objective Burma" has some really bad stage prop M1917 Trench knives.

Here's a still of Errol Flynn in between shooting scenes for Objective Burma. I see what you mean about "bad stage prop M1917". Some sort of "theater made" jobby we'd call it today. Neat though the way they wear the knife taped to the machete's scabbard for jumping & humping.

Njoy,

Lance

post-31352-0-84407200-1388450260.jpg

The barrel on James Brown's Thompson looks like bamboo. I love this movie anyway. This is the flick I saw as a little guy that made me want to go airborne. SKIP

• 2 years later...

Ronaldo Martini was a member of Basilone's wedding entourage. On far left in new Pacific book with Basilone wedding photos. A sergeant and wearing jump wings on his greens. Watters wast best man. Watters and Martinni were only MG section leaders to survive Iwo. Martini lost arm. Watters wounded. Martinni was expert rifleman, and was showing good riflemans form with Garrand in photo.

Best regards,

boghots,

Klamath falls, Oregon

rinaldo

The barrel on James Brown's Thompson looks like bamboo. I love this movie anyway. This is the flick I saw as a little guy that made me want to go airborne. SKIP

The compensator is just bored out by for a blank adapter. The Thompsons in movies of this age were original Colt M1921 and M1928 Navy guns supplied by Stembridge Gun Rentals purchased back in the gangster era, dressed up in military configuration with the horizontal foregrip.