Strange lensatic compass pouch?

Hello, it should be the "transitional" M-1942 pattern, usually OD #7 with OD #3 binding tapes; in this case (accidental pun!) the colors are reversed but I'm sure it's just the same. What do You mean by "strange material"? Ain't it Canvas Webbing, or Cotton Duck? It also should sensibly smell of typical water-repelling treatment (long time since I've forgot the right name for it). Although absolutely perfect replicas are around (WWIIimp, ATF) and for sure You'd need C14 to detect such a copy when properly aged, there are plenty originals available.

Looks fine to me...I have a similar one. If it's been used there is usually the slightly faded circular outline of the compass to be seen on the canvas where its edge has rubbed.

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I don't think it's a particularly rare varsion, although I really like it; as You can see from the link posted above, it's just a casual factor to have OD shades switched, I don't think there had been a written rule, it was commanded by the disposability of fabric cuts of the moment. I think that the original specification was OD #7 for the pouch and OD #3 for the bindings, but if a factory was mass producing, let's say, M-1928 webbing gear like cartridge belts, musette bags & haversacks, it would have probably ended with a lot of OD #3 webbing to employ & the pouch would have been cut in shade #3 consequentially.

I also believe that the greatest number of these cases was not even issued, looking at the consistent number of them You can find with clear traces from long term storage but not scuffs nor discoloration from at least the slightest use, let alone the very distinctive smell still so strong.

What I've noticed, it's that they should have been usually stored with yet the compass inside, because they usually show the shape of it, while I've never seen one without that compass imprint; obviously it's just a guess of mine. I also believe that many compass cases, with which the compass was issued, had been turned into a first aid kit case, while the compass was kept inside a pocket or inside the narrower M-24/42 first aid pouches -also just a personal guess.

I believe that the rarest compass pouch is the first canvas model, the zippered one; every time I've tried to get one -and it's been very occasionally- I've been savagely outbidded, too far an effort from my collecting level. One should have the luck of finding one on an unaware flea-market stand.

I have a couple as well in the lighter shade color.

You will often see these with a waterproofing on then as well and it will darkent he canvas color.Nothing wromg with the pouch.Its real.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Doyler took the words out of my mouth, The water proofing makes them darker. water proofed to protect the compass. looks the one in my collection. minus the rust stains. its WW2 & not rare. Thanks for posting, David

Pvt. James H. Honey 1st Md. Eastern shore Vol. Inf. Co. D (union) Gettysburg
Pvt. George Eddie Lear 26th Inf. Co.H 1st Div .(WW1) P.H. WIA Cpl. Richard Elsea 268th C.A. Bn. Battery A. WW2 SSgt. Grant Elsea 314th Inf. Hq.Co. I.R.79thDiv. WW2
Cpl. Harry Lawrence Butler Jr 23rd Regt. WIA Korea Lt. George Olin Tilghman 111th MG. 29th Div. WW1 DIS France 1919
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif