Best of 2013 Thread

SARGE

Gentlemen,

It is that time of year again for the Best of 2013 thread. What was your best Veteran Organization artifact find of 2013? It does not have to be the most expensive or rarest item but what was your favorite find this year?

My favorite find was a Civil War Sons of Veterans sword variation that I found at SOS. I had actually been looking for this particular model for some years when I saw it in a pile of swords on a table at the show. This early NCO style of sword has the letters SV entwined on the clamshell guard instead of the later Sons of Veterans insignia used after the turn fo the century. It also has a recurved guard instead of the D guard generally found on these GAR and SV swords. Lastly, it has a plated steel scabbard with a frog stud instead of rings indicating it was worn in a frog instead of suspended by slings.

What did you find this year?

SV NCO clean.JPG

SV NCO hilt clean.JPG

skypilot6670

My best find for 2013 was this forum.The people that helped me sort my mistakes and verified my success' have made this my primary source for information . Many thanks to all for sharing their knowledge and helping to clear the minefields. Thanks Mike

My Best finds were a WWII Named Bronze Star, WWII USCG Aviator Uniform named, and finally finding the truth behind a uniform I had for years and restoring it.

D

• 2 weeks later...

My best find last year, A 95 year old WW2 vet I met at McDonald's. He was in the 757th Tank BTN. Africa, Italy. He gave me some picks of him, And autographed one for me. I see him every morning at McDonalds for coffee. He gets around & still drives, Thanks David

David,

You know, the veterans are really what we are about as collectors. The material culture objects we collect are neat but it is really about the stories they tell and what they represent. When I was a kid I talked to WWI veterans from my neighborhood all the time. They are all gone now. My Father-in-law is a Pearl Harbor survivor and he is still going strong but we lose these veterans every day. We need to cherish these soldiers while we can.

David,

You know, the veterans are really what we are about as collectors. The material culture objects we collect are neat but it is really about the stories they tell and what they represent. When I was a kid I talked to WWI veterans from my neighborhood all the time. They are all gone now. My Father-in-law is a Pearl Harbor survivor and he is still going strong but we lose these veterans every day. We need to cherish these soldiers while we can.

Well Said man!