How to store uniforms for an extended period of time...

HolyHappiness

HolyHappiness

My wife and I are buying our first house! We're both excited to move in and begin a new chapter in our lives, however a question comes to mind. There is very little space to keep my uniforms in the house. I will have to pick through my favorites and most used to keep in the house and the rest will have to go into storage either in the crawlspace under the house or in the attic of the garage. My question to all of you is how can I best store the remainder of my collection (mostly ww2 AAF dress uniforms, flight gear, flight helmets, oxygen masks, and field gear) in these two locations? I live in northern Utah so the climate is dry with very little to no humidity.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

THANKS!

Nathan

dan_the_hun84

I live in Colorado, so I have very similiar conditions. I have probobally 30+ Ike jackets in storage, I have most of them in vaccuum bags in good quaility plastic storage totes. There have been some that have been in that state for a few years that I recenly opened up and all was well. I would advise that if you have any uniforms with anything fragile on them (ribbons, badges etc) that if possible, remove them first since the vac bags will squeeze down on the garment somewhat.

Whatever you do, try to aviod crawlspaces though, as a former plumber, I can say I have seen many a nice antique wrecked, even when protected, in a crawlspace!

Dan

I would think a crawl space would be a bad idea due to possible water leaks and varmints. In the attic I would suggest some durable totes and to wrap the items in something like muslin to separate them from the plastic. Then maybe for a little extra protection throw a tarp over the totes as an extra layer of protection. You could also buy a rack to hang you uniforms on and then buy the plastic cover to put over the entire rack. I think ikea and target have them. Use wooden hangers

• 1 month later...