Rare Army Purple Heart to a Pearl Harbor attack WIA

DakotaDave

Well, they don't come much rarer than this, an Army issue Purple Heart for the Dec 7 attack on Pearl Harbor.

This one is numbered 73247 thus making it one of the first block of 200 numbered PH's sent by the PQMD to the Hawaii Department about 10 days after the attack.

Upon receipt of the medals the Hawaiian QM Depot made arrangements to have them engraved by local engravers on Oahu in the same pattern as WWI PH's probably using WWI engraved PH's of veterans on the island as working examples. The medals were then presented to the WIA's in mass ceremonies at Hickam and Wheeler Air Fields in April 1942.

To repeat what I had previously posted on earlier Forum discussions (see links) the PH numbers as reported by Albert Gleim in the 80's for these Army PH's are as follows:

73188 - 73266

73269 - 73387

73541 - 73740

73941 - 74108

For a total of 566 medals.

I feel comfortable in making the logical assumption that the engraving on these medals should be considered "Official" even though done by local commercial engravers, since it would have been the HDQMD that made the official arrangements for their local engraving.

I currently know of only 4 reported numbered PH's awarded to Army WIA's for the Pearl attack:

Frank L Wallace 73247 - reported in this topic

Carmel R Calderon 73669 - earlier reported in the Forum http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/149978-wia-december-7th-hq-sq-11th-bg/

James E O'Donovan 73578 - earlier reported in the Forum http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/150097-army-pearl-harbor-purple-heart/

Ernest Marino 74007 - Illustrated in the "Call of Duty"

Frank L Wallacel had originally served in the Coast Artillery Corp from 1933 to 1936 as a 155mm gunner, was discharged then reenlisted in the Air Corps in Oct 1939 and served continuously until his retirement in Apr 1957. While with the Air Corp in Hawaii he graduated from Aircraft Mechanics school at Hickam Field in Jan 1941 and was assigned as an A&P mechanic to the 6th Pursuit Sqd (Int) at Wheeler Field where he was wounded in the Dec 7 attack. He continued with the 6th until Jul 1943 then went stateside for the remainder of the war. He was transferred to the Air Force in 1948, participated in the Korean War being stationed at Kunsan, Korea during 1951 and 1952. He retired as a Staff Sargent in 1957 and died in 2001 while residing at Linn, OR and is buried at the Willamette National Cemetery at Portland, OR.

post-9914-0-04578700-1388095106.jpg

I know one more: # 73296 awarded to Pvt Vernon W. Fairbanks Jr. He was with the Coastal Artillery and WIA on dec 7, 1941.

• 4 years later...

I just picked this one up. He was a 1st LT in the Army Medical Dept stationed at Hickam Field and WIA 12/7/41. The number is slightly outside the Gleim known Pearl Harbor PH number range above.IMG_1713.PNG

Recipient's first name is "Ervin". Medal is engraved to "Edvin".

Oops!!!!

Yep, having the dog tags too is a very good thing.

Wharf

• 3 years later...